1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How the electrical system works in Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Marinna, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps I am too dense, what does CPAP stand for ? TY Jimbopalmer, I have watched your videos before and found them very good. I see no relevance to any of the scenarios, in respect to my own thoughts, actions.
    All, quite far fetched, improbable and not even to be contemplated. My goal is to worry about real things to keep the car in good shape.

HPrimeAdvanced and Insighter like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A machine that helps people with sleep apnea keep breathing while they sleep.

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most plausible.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Continuous positive airway pressure - Wikipedia

If you need CPAP to sleep in your car, then you will be running an air pump all the time, and would drain the Prius tiny 12 battery quickly.

Staying in Ready will eliminate the risk to either battery, so long as you are not in N. (P makes more sense anyway)
    This is one scenario where turning off the headlights makes sense, as you are sleeping.

AndyPrius1 I only choose them, I have never made any videos. i do try to choose wisely.

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hate acronyms being used, but, never once spelled out. Even worse, when a OP uses a acronym and does not know what it stands for........

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm an old fart. Quite a few of my friends use them. :D

HPrimeAdvanced, Insighter and bisco like this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY Jimbo

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do try to spell out (with Capitals showing the acronym) acronyms I introduce. I am less sure I should be spelling out acronyms introduced by others.

Insighter and Andyprius1 like this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, me too. I have a brother-in-law that requires one. I thought you were joking before. My mind was only locked onto Prime. Cardio/ Pulmonary Assist ???? that’s the best I can do. without serious research. Prosthetic.

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What? Me joke? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I Had this problem I would never sleep in a car. It happens to be a serious medical problem.

12. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry about that. If it had occurred to me spell it out, I would have. "CPAP" is, however, becoming a fairly well-known acronym and is easily found online. Even if you do spell out that it is a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine, that still doesn't do much of anything to explain what it is. The only thing that matters is that it is a big enough draw on the 12V system to be concerned about draining the battery, which I hope is to be inferred from the context. To learn much more about it, you'd have to read about it. If it was a more obscure device, something that would be hard to reference, it probably would have occurred to me to spell out what it was.

Whether sleep apnea is a serious problem depends on the extent to which one suffers from it. There are a myriad of different levels of sleep apnea. Some people are affected only slightly, whereas it's life threatening for others (who often require specialized CPAP machines that sound loud alarms to wake you up if power is interrupted). There's a good chance that anyone with a snoring problem has some level of sleep apnea. Regardless, no matter how serious one's sleep apnea is, there is nothing about sleeping in a car that aggravates sleep apnea. There are travel CPAP machines for use on long airplane flights (as there must be if the flights are very long).

To say that you would never sleep in a car with if you had sleep apnea doesn't make sense. In fact, sleep apnea is lessened by sleeping sitting up (or on one's side). If you are driving and you are tired, it is advisable to sleep, if only a brief nap. If your sleep apnea is worse than mild, you would be ill-advised to sleep without a CPAP machine for any amount of time. So, it makes sense to have one in your car for emergencies.

Moreover, this is not just about sleeping in one's car. When the power goes out at my home, I can't sleep until it comes back on. Using my Prime in this way, I can power my apnea machine overnight if need be. Apparently, some members here use their CPAP machine in conjunction with their Prime for camping, too. The ultimate point here is that having a CPAP machine in your car, and having the ability to power it with your car, can only give someone with sleep apnea added freedom.

#32 Insighter, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure you have ventilation, in a closed garage, even a Prime can cause asphyxiation.

Insighter likes this.
  14. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, absolutely. I presume that a Prime emits far less exhaust than many other cars, but I don't think that would count for much in a sealed space.

HPrimeAdvanced and Andyprius1 like this.
  15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY for your most detailed information. To get back to your question, Yes, several have used various Prii for camping and they work great. To keep a safe charge in the 12V battery the car must be in ready all night. The duty cycle is low and the engine does not run long or hard. Can also use a 120 V inverter, either for accessories or an emergency, like power out situation. I hope that answers your question.

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If one rubs ones finger in the exhaust pipe,, there will be no sign of carbon! Unlike most ICE machines.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You know, that is also so for diesels with a working DPF.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn’t know that. I almost bought a Diesel Bug when I saw that it gets 46 mpg, I could not believe that kind of consumption existed. This was just after Ca lifted its Diesel ban, around 2004. Now I’m getting 105 mpg!

19. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It does, thanks. I looked into using an inverter, but apparently, unless you buy an expensive pure sine wave inverter, that is not a good idea with sensitive medical equipment or anything with an AC motor (like a refrigerator). Every CPAP machine I've has a power brick like a notebook computer and runs on DC. I bought an adapter from the CPAP machine manufacturer that plugs my CPAP directly into a cigarette lighter. However, I think I still want to get a pure sine wave inverter in case I want to power other things. Unfortunately, they are not cheap. Thanks for mentioning that using the READY mode for this doesn't cause the engine to run long or hard. I was wondering about that.

HPrimeAdvanced and Andyprius1 like this.
  20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somewhere in this encyclopedic Prius Chat there have been post by campers, I believe the consumption was something like 2 gal for all night. Don’t quote me on it.

jerrymildred likes this.