1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to access on/off - volume knob of audio +

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Blue Prius2015, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Blue Prius2015

Blue Prius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to access the electronics behind the audio unit of my 2015 Gen 3 Prius. Specifically, I'd like to do a bit of spraying of Deoxit or some similar "cleaner" so that the unit, in cold weather and mostly at start up, will turn on. How to take off the plastic facing around the audio / screen unit? Can I pull the on/off / volume knob or not without removing the face? I find not only the on/off won't work, but initially when functioning in cold weather that the CD playing erratically jumps from one track to the other. Once all is warmed enough, it all goes back to normal. My guess on what's causing this?

My seat of the pants "reasoning" (same as guessing for me) says that something gels up too much, somewhere there's a lubricant that doesn't like cold temperatures and gets stiff...but where?) ... something that works fine when warmed to usual temperatures. My idea is NOT to dig into things I don't know anything about (that's about 99% of electronic stuff), but to do a bit of spraying of an electronic cleaner around the on/off knob and if possible on to the CD mechanism IF it is visible. Thoughts, suggestions on all this appreciated!