1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to access the intake manifold?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bruce_Rmz, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Bruce_Rmz

Bruce_Rmz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across a post to solve the P0420 code using a spray can, and I would like to give that a try. However, the person who posted that article, doe snot provide details about how they did "spray[ing] short bursts of fluid in through the intake manifold" - I am not good at mechanics. I used to clean an old carburettor in an old Dodge Colt many years ago. I could spray directly into v carburettor - But with the Prius 2007 I have now, I don't know where to "spray the short bursts".

If someone could provide directions on how to access the "intake manifold" I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks. Blessing to everybody here.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The intake manifold is right under your air filter your throttle body sits there In reality you could sit there and give short bursts with a long tube and let it rip realizing that when you're pushing down on the spray the engine is going to be trying to die so you're going to have to lift the idle up a little bit to keep the engine from dying literally like stopping and not running and then your spray is going nowhere because it's got to be running to be sucked in through the system. And this is supposed to do exactly what?

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anything that you spray into the throttle body and intake manifold gets sucked into the cylinders and burned. Not sure how combusting the chemicals in that spray can are going to help the cat at all.

You also have to keep the engine running continuously while spraying.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Bruce_Rmz

Bruce_Rmz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Tombukt2

So, According to what I've found the code I am trying to get rid off, is more because of the "gunk" covering the sensors that trigger the code. And the post I've found successfully cleared the "check engine" light after using the chemicals. Since this is a new account in the forum, It's not allowing me to send the link. I'll try it once that restriction is removed.

Thanks, mr_guy_mann

#4 Bruce_Rmz, Jun 5, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2023
  5. Bruce_Rmz

Bruce_Rmz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try it according to the post I found instructions. I'll update on this matter here.