1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to apply for the California HOV (carpool lane) stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VinceDee, Oct 23, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I conducted a search and didn't find this information on PriusChat so I'm posting it now. Let me know if it's already been posted somewhere else.

This information was gathered from my own personal experience applying for the HOV stickers. Your experience may differ but hopefully this information will help someone else. If any information that I've posted here is incorrect, please PM me immediately so I can change it.

Step 3

Print out, then fill out the "Clean Air Vehicle Stickers" form (reg1000), found at:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

You may notice that the printed form comes in duplicate. You only have to fill out the upper part of the form, then detach it from the lower part.

(for Bay Area users: Also make a copy of your FasTrak "Information Verification" form and keep the copy for your records. You must send in the original with your application).

Now, send the completed reg1000 "Application for Clean Air Vehicle Stickers" form, the original FasTrak "Information Verification" form (if Bay Area resident), and a check or money order for $8 (eight dollars) to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
    Special Processing Unit MS D238
    P.O. Box 932345
    Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

Upon receiving your HOV stickers, affix them to your car following the included instructions. Yes, they really are that big, and they really are that ugly, and they really do have to be mounted in those positions. :(

But now you get to drive in the carpool lanes all by yourself during commute hours!

Enjoy! :D

2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 23 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]337085[/snapback]</div>
    Well now, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much! I hate that these are so ugly. There is another poster who is testing out the use of magnets placed on the backside of the bumper and then magnetizing somehow the sticker so that they can be put on and taken off as desired.

I might go to this amount of trouble, as I have noted the ugliness of the stickers, even before I realized I would soon be an owner of the Prius and the stickers!

Thanks for all the Info!

Jennifer

3. ravie

ravie New Member

Thanks for the how to. I just got my FasTrak last week and was filling out the form for the HOV stickers but couldn't find any info on what to do on the DMV website. I was guessing that I just sent the form in (top and bottom) with $8 but a DMV employee said I needed to send $8 per sticker. That made no sense so I do a search here, find your informative post and have now mailed off my application and check for $8.

Thanks!

4. mollyroemer

mollyroemer New Member

I am a new Prius owner, so I don't have a licence plate number yet. However, I filled out the form, wrote the $8 check and included a copy of my sales receipt. I am concerned that I will not get my sticker b/c a.) I don't have a licence plate # b.) there are not that many stickers left. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, Molly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 23 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]337085[/snapback]</div>

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Molly R @ Dec 6 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]358548[/snapback]</div>
    I got my stickers before I had the plates. The VIN # on the sales receipt may be OK, and write "new car - no plate" where the tag no. goes on the app. Its no big deal. I see lots of new cars in LA with the stickers, and only new car dealer plates.

6. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Dec 7 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]358997[/snapback]</div>
    the DMV says this:

"The vehicle must have a permanent license plate assigned before a sticker can be issued."

So does that mean you can still send in the application early and they will hold out until issuing the plates?