1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to avoid ICE when turning on climate control?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by QuantumFireball, Jun 6, 2016.

1. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I've found it difficult trying to turn on the climate control in EV mode without engaging the ICE, especially on sunny mornings where it might be relatively cool outside (about 16-18 C/60-65 F) but the cabin is heating up quickly. I usually have it set to around 20-23 C (68-73 F) but usually in these conditions the ICE will start immediately after turning on the fans (AC off). Does anyone know how to avoid this? Or do I just need to set the climate control to "Lo" at the end of my previous journey? I've never been able to turn down the temperature quickly enough after turning it on without the ICE starting, so it seems doing it beforehand might be my only option.

Eco and EV City mode don't seem to help with the above issue. City mode will just fail once the ICE starts. It would be nice if there was a "no heat" option, regardless of temperature setting...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shut the whole thing off and roll the windows down a bit?

Not being facetious, that's what I do most of the year. Not a plug-in though.

QuantumFireball and WilDavis like this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the only way to do that when it is cool or cold out. Manually set it to Lo and then turn it off.

Unsupervised!

QuantumFireball and bisco like this.
  4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Always set the temp to LO before turning off the fan. The ICE will not come on when turning the fan on until you then set the temp higher for heat or turn the AC on for cold.

QuantumFireball and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct ^^^ i leave the temp on low unless i want heat, and then have to remember to set it back to low before shutting down. i don't use auto, i just turn the fan and the a/c on and off as needed.

QuantumFireball likes this.
  6. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Thanks, look like what I was doing seems like the only reasonable option. The hard part is remembering to set it to "lo" though...

I thought that would be too obvious to be worth mentioning :) But sometimes it's too windy, raining, or I'm stuck behind a bus, etc.

Mendel Leisk likes this.