1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to buy a "free" car

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by rahtware, Mar 19, 2016.

1. rahtware

rahtware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've watched the hybrid movement from the start and felt that some day I would have to join in, but they were a bit too pricey for me. Lately, as the range/price on full EVs started getting closer to my needs, I thought I might end up bypassing hybrids completely. Besides, with gas so cheap it might seem like a crazy time to go hybrid, but I feel the low gas prices won't last (3 or 4 years max), so when a local dealer took 6k off of the remaining '15s on his lot I couldn't resist.

Now I just need to learn how to drive/take care of my little "Winter Gray Metallic" (charcoal) Prius Two, not II because it is not a 2010 which used uppercase roman numerals for model designation. Between the manuals and this forum I can see I have lots to learn, but I'm retired and rain is in the forecast so it will give me something to do. BTW, why didn't the salesguy tell me to NOT shift into "B" when traveling at freeway speeds?

Most common question I've been asked is "why buy a hybrid when gas is so cheap?" My answer is simple. It is an investment. I plan on driving my Prius until gas is back up over $5/gal and EVs that can go 200 miles are under 25K then sell it for what I paid for it, which makes it a free car!

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations and welcome to PriusChat! You seem to have it all worked out, and you've come to the perfect place to learn all the things that you will eventually need to know about the amazing Prius!!! (great choice of colour, BTW!) ;) - Wil

rahtware likes this.
  3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since you seem to have the time, a reading of the manual will be most helpful also the search function on this site will get you to your answers quicker. Enjoy the toy, as for B mode, unless you live in the mountains, never use it, also always turn the car on when sitting in the car slitting to the radio, you want to use the big traction battery to run the radio etc because the 12 volt is small and only for turning on the computers to start the car. Confused yet?

rahtware likes this.
  4. rahtware

rahtware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies, all advice is welcome!

Will, the color is causing problems with my Norwegian (perfectionist) side as it is a "rich" color which in my mind is in conflict with the plastic wheel covers that come with the Two. I wonder how it would look with just the stock gloss black rims...

Munpot42, I am trying to do a cover to cover read, but keep getting sidetracked by "I didn't know it did that" and "I wonder if mine has that" which means that I have to go outside and see if mine "does/have" those things. As for "B", I have the perfect place to use it. We live in the redwoods in the coastal range in NorCal and the road down to town has a couple of steep twisty sections where anything above 25mph scares the Chihuahua (and wife) so I have started using it there. Thanks for the tip on the battery. By turning it on I am thinking you mean a full "foot on brake, push Start", not just pushing the Start button without pressing the brake... And yes I am a bit confused, but learning, thanks. BTW, I was a Ranger at Malibu Creek State Park back in '80-'83 (they were still shooting M.A.S.H in the park at the time) so have fond memories of your area.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall the salesman that came along on our test drive telling us specifically, to shift into B, on a hill that ran maybe two blocks. Unnecessary: you can leave it in D virtually all the time. The only time I shift to B is coming down a local ski hill. In normal driving conditions it's better, and even charges the battery more, to just leave it in D, use the brake pedal.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the wheel covers off and buy the center caps. Looks way better!

rahtware likes this.
  7. rahtware

rahtware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Montgomery, I just ordered a set of 4 (57mm) from Hammer on Amazon. They have a different part number than the ones listed on the Toyota site, but in the forum thread "3 buck alloy wheel center caps!" it seemed that the 55mm caps (which match the Toyota number) were reported to be too loose.