1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to buy Prius privately?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Choroidal, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Choroidal

Choroidal New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been shopping for a ~2017 Prius with Autotrader.ca and Cargurus.ca car dealers in the Toronto, Canada area. One of the few ones that had no accident history AND that I liked just got sold, so I'm considering expanding my search to private sellers, but I know little about cars. :notworthy:

With the COVID-19 lockdown in Toronto, is it still a good idea to phone up all these unknown strangers that post very little information to test drive their Prius and bring it to my mechanic for an inspection? Does the required Used Vehicle Information Package contain any useful information for buyers like a Carfax report? Or should I expand my search to the dealers' 2016-18 Mazda3 Hatchback that has some driver assist features like the 2017 Prius?

2. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my Prius in May during lock down on Craigslist. I looked at 4 cars, took 2 to a mechanic and bought the 2nd. Everyone wore masks and the car was clean. The weather was warm so windows were open. Both parties took the car for me to my mechanic. Social distancing was obeyed.
    I am happy with what I purchased.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    expand your search