1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to buy Prius with bad engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MarkScore, Jan 19, 2023.

1. MarkScore

MarkScore New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2010 Prius and recently put in a rebuilt engine. Unfortunately, it looks like my brake booster is bad (& out of warranty). Don't want to pour that kind of money into a booster in a vehicle with lots of miles when something else might go wrong (hybrid battery, AC compressor, etc.). I was thinking about purchasing a Prius cheap with a bad engine (& ideally that's low mileage or has already had the booster replaced) and having the engine swapped. Any ideas about where to purchase such a vehicle? Was also thinking about scrapping the car and selling the engine but since I can't take an engine out of a vehicle that's probably not a good option. Thanks for any ideas or advice.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can buy the brake parts cheap from the JDM suppliers that well maybe should have supplied your engine like 150 bucks couple hours to change it out bleed the brakes off you go for another 200k or something this has been the least of the problems in any of my Gen 3s two of them changed one of these in a generation too completely different animal but about as cheap or inexpensive I wouldn't be getting rid of the car because of this you can skin this cat maybe $500 a little less if you can do any of it and if not well I guess that's that

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    salvage yards might have prius with replacement brake boosters. idk how to tell, must be a different part number