1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to calculate MPG when tire size changes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Sep 20, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I need a little help understanding how the Prius calculates mpg based on miles driven then I need to create a formula that allows us to determine mpg when you change tire size. Any of you math guys want to help me out? Sage? ;)

We know the GenIII speedo reads between 1-2mph too fast but the ECU will continue to read exactly 2mph too fast despite tire size changes as verified by Scangauge and Torque app. So what is your mpg based on? Readings from the odometer, speedometer or something else?

If you change tire size then your miles driven is going to be altered. It's either going to be more accurate or less accurate depending on how this information is derived. If the miles driven is altered then so will be your mpg reading.

How can we account for such changes and create a formula whereby we can accurately gauge fuel economy?

Please discuss!

2. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you have Torque right? There is a setting under vehicle profile where you can trim wheel diameter size (OBD Speed Multiplier). Create a dash with GPS and OBD speeds side-by-side and trim until they are close. The trim should trickle down through all your other distance-based calculations in the app (MPG, distance traveled, etc).

premature response. let me re-read the OP and think

3. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's all based on tire circumference and the ratio between OEM and your new tires.

The outer diameter of the EnergySaver tires is 25.0" - Circumference is 78.54"
    The outer diameter of the PureContact tires is 25.1" - Circumference is 78.85"

78.54/78.85 = 0.996

Think of it this way - the error is less than 0.4%

If you are traveling at 60mph (GPS speed), and the OBD says (hypothetical) 60mph with the 15" EnergySavers, then theoretically the OBD will display 59.76mph* with the 17" PureContact tires (60*0.996).

*I believe when tire circumference goes up, displayed distance traveled goes down. If I'm wrong, it will be 60.24mph (60*1.004).

The cirumference of the tires is so close that the change in distance traveled per tire revolution is negligible.

Another way to look at this is lifetime car distance traveled. Imagine traveling 100,000 miles (GPS) before your car craps out. With the OEM 15" tires the display will show 100% correct 100,000 miles, but the PureContact tires will only be off by +/- 400 miles. It's negligible.

4. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And to answer your original question, distance traveled at the obd is 99.999% likely calculated by wheel clicks, and not by another means such as an on-board GPS unit somewhere in the ecu, which is pretty much the only other way to do it.

Wheel clicks meaning wheel revolutions. The Ecu tracks wheel revolutions and multiplies that by the known oem tire circumference. Or, it adds 1/10 of a mile for every x tire revolutions.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One thing to keep in mind is that speedos on all cars are going to be conservatively set so they do not underestimate speed. If you calculate based on "true" speed and distance, your numbers won't be comparable to all other cars where MPGs are based on their speedos (odometers).

I think most cars will "overreport" MPGs by about 2%. The Prius V (5) overreports by more than 5%, but I don't know that it can all be attributed to the smaller OEM tire. If you "correct" the tire so that you match the OEM tires on the 15" wheels, there may also be other "corrections" to make. The Toyo A20 Proxes (215/45R17) OEMs for my 2010 Prius V had 843 revolutions per mile (RPM). I can't find the RPMs for the new Conti PureContacts F8L put on his 17" wheels show, but the Conti ProContact tires in the 205/50R17 show 832 RPM. The 15" OEM Yokohama AVID S33D show 829 RPM. According to these numbers, the Toyo tires would "overreport" by 1.7% vs. the AVIDs.

Looking at a 500 mile tank (reality, as opposed to what is reported by the speedo/odometer), the AVID will report 500 miles after 414,500 revolutions. If you were to assume the speedo/odometer in that situation actually had reported true for 500 miles, and you then replaced the wheel/tire to use the Toyo A20 Proxes, at 843 revolutions per mile, what difference would you find? Once the speedo/odometer reported 500 miles, the wheels/tires would have revolved 414,500 times, but each revolution would have traveled 6.26 feet (5280 feet divided by 843 RPM), as opposed to the 6.34 feet for each revolution on the AVIDs. Assuming the car actually traveled 500 miles on the AVIDs, it would have traveled only 491 miles on the Toyos.

I'm hesistant to take the math too much further, because the tires have difference performance characteristics, and there is no way to assume the HSD would have used the same amount of power to get the same number of revolutions on each tire. All it shows is that you have an overreporting of distance traveled for the OEM 17s vs. the OEM 15s, and that the overreporting is about 1.7%.

Tim Bender likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, but the speedometer and the odometer are two separate instruments. The speedometer indicates speed a bit high on purpose, to discourage speeding. The odometer should be reasonably accurate, with the usual tire size. There's a lot riding on that accuracy, warranty limits for one.

Our '06 Honda Civic Hybrid underestimated mileage, typically by about 1~2%.

To the OP:

If (as an example) you put on a tire with a circumference that is 1% greater than stock, on any trip you will travel 1% further than the car (and it's odometer) thinks you travelled. When calculating mileage you would need to multiply any odometer reading by 1.01.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I didn't realize this. It is hard to believe there is a reason to have two different distance measurements taken, but I could see the car companies making one read differently simply to make certain the car did not under-report its speed.

Clearly, I've simply made the assumption the speedometer and odometer are linked because of the distance reading.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The do use the same data source. The speedometer reads high because the computer makes it read high

9. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I was thinking. why add the cost of a second instrument when you could do a simple X*Y or X-Y calculation of the distance instrument value to reduce the displayed speed?

10. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Remember, if the distance reads high, the MPGs will read high and the warranty will end sooner. Both good for the car company!

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That has been done before and the gumnt has spanked the car companies' peepees for doing it. The car companies tend to be pretty honest on odometer readings these days, so not so good for the car companies.

12. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But, I bet you they are at the very top of the allowable variance. There is a lot of engineering that goes into that!

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, that's a more accurate description.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, this is all good information except for one issue that complicates this matter even further.

The revs/mile for my PureContact is supposed to be 828 according to Continental. Even if it was 832 it shouldn't make much of a difference. The weird thing is, with the AVID S33D (828) and Energy Saver A/S (832) the speedo read 1.5 to 2mph faster than the GPS. Now with the PureContacts the speedo reads exactly the same as the speedo. So while these 3 tires have very similar revs/mile, the speedo is reading differently which means A. The tire sizes are not correct or B. there is more/less tire growth occurring with some of the tires which changes the circumference while spinning. Ugggggggggg

15. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How about over-inflation? Are the different tires inflated the same?

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't seem to have much of an effect with my current tires but I'll check it again today. I'm currently running 36/34psi in the 17s. I started off at 42/40psi. I usually run the 15" tires a either 44/42psi or 46/44psi.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the only way to see what is going on it to test my odometer accuracy. Then we can have someone with a Five and OE tires test theirs and someone with a Two, Three or Four test theirs. lol

18. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    did you test the GPS vs OBD speed difference on the AVIDS and EnergySavers at the end of their useful life? vs the Contis which you're using now that are brand new?

how much does tread loss reduce tire diameter over the life of the tire? maybe 1/4 inch? haven't done any math yet, but that's probably a measurable difference.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never reached the end of their useful lives before swapping them out. :)

I had approx.:
    10k on the Energy Saver A/S
    1,800 on the AVID S33D
    10,000 on the AVID Ascend

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1/4 inch is a good number for radius. New tread depth on tires runs about 10/32 inch, common recommendation is to not run them below 2/32 which = 8/32 = 1/4 inch of allowable wear so diameter is reduced by 0.5 inches on aroughly 24 inch diameter, or a 2% reduction in diameter when worn out.

Unfortunately for us calculators, turns per mile isn't a direct function of tire diameter, it's closer to the diameter of the tire at the steel belts so wear doesn't have the expected effect on turns per mile.

That wouldn't be the first time that a tire company posted the wrong turns per mile number.

Tire growth for steel belted tires at legal speeds isn't significant.