1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Change Brake Fluid without Scan Tool

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusII&C, Jan 12, 2021.

1. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Prius C. Due to the lock down in California, it parks in the garage since last May. I think about changing the brake fluid by myself before taking it out of the garage this summer. While there are a few videos on this subject on Youtube for Prius, I cannot find any detailed instruction / demonstration for a Prius C.

This is a 2012 Prius C model 2, with no power button, no touchscreen. I don't have a scan tool. The car has 110k miles on it with the original brake fluid. If someone has done the brake fluid flush before, it will be greatly appreciated if the procedure is shared.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Watch @NutzAboutBolts video (linked in pinned thread, top of 3rd gen maintenance forum). Yes it’s third gen, but might be applicable, the “invalid mode” procedure in particular.

You could also take out a short term subscription on Toyota Tech Info website, see what they have. FWIW, the 3rd gen Repair Manual has both a Techstream and non-Techstream method.

I can post the latter, when I’m on my pc.

3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I did watch NutzAboutBolts' video on Youtube. In that video the first step is to put the car in "invalid" mode by pressing the power button twice. But my Prius C doesn't have a power button. It only has a regular key. Does this mean I crank the key two clicks --- one click short of starting the car?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has it been sitting unused for 8 months, or have you been driving it now and then? If it's been unused, you're likely going to have bigger worries to deal with than brake fluid. An original 2012 HV battery will probably code out from some modules self-discharging and the 12v will probably be a zero volt.

5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car is turned on for 20 - 30 minutes in the garage once every 3 - 4 weeks. So far the HV battery holds charge fine, and even the original auxiliary battery is OK. I am crossing my fingers.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would think so; you want the car on, except no engine start up. Do that and try the chicken dance, see what happens. Don’t forget parking brake has to be on too; that tripped me up.

Still, checking on Toyota tech info would be best.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's how you get the car to the "ON" condition. Getting from there to invalid mode would have to involve another sequence of steps (in a Gen 3 liftback, two tromps on the go pedal, then two more in neutral, then two more in park, but I don't know if that's also the dance for the c).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And you need to depress brake pedal to shift to neutral. (y)

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed... I had a Prius C I was cleaning for a weekend and just sitting there it used alot of the 12v battery.

But I've also read stories on here of people with Gen2 Prius starting the car up after a year with not much issue.

However if you want to do everything possible to take good care of your car so it lasts as long as possible charging up the 12v and charging & balancing the hybrid battery before you use it again is the way to go.