1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Change Front Map Lights.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by eight08customs, Jan 27, 2016.

1. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure why one would take that gray cover off for if you're only replacing the bulb. When I did it I just remove the clear cover

Dragon Rider and krmcg like this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where did you get the "dome light" bulb?

glennonrp likes this.
  3. DGuy21

DGuy21 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    These look pretty sweet - I know what I am doing next weekend.... :)

4. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    From Amazon.

"JDM ASTAR Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets Error Free 1.25 inches DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175 LED Interior Map Dome Lights, Xenon White"

That's the product I used. I would link it but Tapatalk doesn't let me create hyperlinks.

krmcg likes this.
  5. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! In two days...

glennonrp likes this.
  6. bowerda47

bowerda47 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Okay all. I see the pics of the map led bulb swap. Makes me not even want to try it. I'll break a bezel or lens and have to replace it. So, Question, does any one have detailed pics of procedures for changing the lower door courtesy lights, the lights for the visor mirrors, and the cargo hatch light. All pics immensely appreciated and will be studied thoroughly to aid in relieving the I'm gonna break it syndrome. LOL

Dragon Rider likes this.
  7. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The door courtesy lights were incredibly simple. I just "popped" them off from one end with a plastic pry bar and swapped the bulbs. Then "popped" the assemblies back in. Same for the rear light assembly. The only reason that the map light assembly was harder is the size and the more substantial grip that the four large "holders" have.

8. gr8mpg

gr8mpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you pry the assembly out from the side facing the windshield first? I am having a hard time prying it out without fear of breaking or denting the headliner.

9. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just pry from the edge or corner furthest back to get some purchase and pull straight down. The "keepers" will release with enough pressure.

10. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EDIT: Oops...this was supposed to be a reply to bowerda47's request for photos.

This is my LH door courtesy/puddle light.

Pry tool to release from door panel.
    Pry tool.jpg
    The locking clip is forward end of the light assembly
    Remove from door.jpg

Slide the light holder out of the lens (to the right in this photo), Remove the "hood" from the bulb end of the holder to remove and replace the bulb.
    Light assembly.jpg

#30 Weasle543, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    krmcg likes this.
  11. gr8mpg

gr8mpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This method did not work as described for me. I tried to pry and pull down the entire map light assembly from my Prius Three ATP with sunroof, but the 4 mount points held firm in the steel, and only the bezel came out, fracturing two of the clips closest to the windshield in the process. The frame and two map light lenses remained attached to the assembly in the roof. At that point, I was able to pry off the two lenses and replace the bulbs, being careful not to lose the bulb twist base into the headliner. Everything went back together and held firm, despite the two cracked clips, and the white LEDs look great. Not sure why Toyota made these bulbs to be so difficult to replace!

12. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry that you had issues, I guess I was just lucky. Replaced all the lights without issue...

13. roger kim

roger kim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what did you use to take clear plastic off?
    how long did it take you?

14. gr8mpg

gr8mpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used small, plastic automotive pry bars. It took about 15 minutes total. I don't see how the clear plastic lenses can be removed without first removing the grey bezel as the tabs for the clear plastic lenses are secured beneath the grey bezel. The easiest way, is to pull the 4 retainers with the entire assembly, and then change the bulbs, but that did not happen for me. The bezel separated from the rest of the assembly. Please keep in mind that the assembly on the model with moonroof is different than the non-moonroof models. Just be careful, and one way or another, you will succeed.

15. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Search Amazon for auto trim tool.

Can usually find them at most auto parts stores too....Autozone, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's.

I picked up a set at Harbor Freight a few years ago.

16. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Search Amazon for auto trim tool.

Can usually find them at most auto parts stores too....Autozone, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's.

I picked up a set at Harbor Freight a few years ago.

17. ML Newbie

ML Newbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow, I don't want to discourage anyone but this was a pretty tough mod so I'll be sure to put your patience on. I am definitely a patient person and almost gave up on this but I got lucky and finally got the clear part off which detached the grey plastic part for me and all without any breakage on the tabs. I only used a credit card, small Swiss Army knife screwdriver and microfibre cloths to hold open the areas I had already propped open with the credit card. I started at the center of the clear area (frosted lens) and worked towards the windshield. The toughest and scariest part were definitely the tabs closest to the map light button but I pushed inward with the screwdriver covered in cloth. Once that gave everything was free and disengaged the gray area. The bulbs were hard to pull out! Straight out no twist in case anyone was wondering. Reassembly was 2 seconds. Hope this helps someone perform this or have the courage to do so.

18. Prius_noob18888

Prius_noob18888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Anyone have the pics to upload again?
    It seems the pics from TS are no longer there

19. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's the Amazon part number?

#39 thunderstruck, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  20. Patrick Conner

Patrick Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I got bulbs (LED's) from Amazon (Yorkim) and I replaced my doors and the back cargo and the mirror lights on both sides.. I to have to find one for the back dome light since it was different the the rest.. BUT I AM SO AFRAID TO TRY THE MAPLIGHT MASSIVE AREA.. I don't see any pictures of what mine looks like.. 2016 Prius Two (no sun roof) and I don't know how to get it off since it is an entire plastic shield over everything. Can anyone please put up new pictures of the process and where to start and what to do please.. Thanks everyone.. just had it 7 days now lol..

#40 Patrick Conner, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Fobbers likes this.