1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Change Headlamp / Headlight bulb

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 20, 2007.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You guys talking about "Vision Plus" not to be confused with HID bulbs "for the casual viewer".. regular high performance Halogen xenon - Vision Plus?

It sounds like your life expectancy is doing pretty good for those types of bulbs,
    HID however is "supposed" to last much longer and often don't and instead get the turn off/back on symptom that reactivates if turned off and back on.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both bulbs blew out together with one rear taillight bulb. The headlights are Phillips Vision Plus. A little earlier than the others (which lasted ~ 11 months on average).

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear that.

Instead of buying more halogen bulbs, I installed a HID conversion kit with 4,500k bulbs.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reverting back to stock halogens. I'll save the HID conversion for the 2010 (less hassle b/c of the split low/high beam now vs. the all-in-one setup of the Gen 2).

Lemme know how the HID conversion works out! (Pics too!)

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I can ever revert back to stock halogens.

Even when I was young, I didn't like the limited visibility of night driving.

Now that I'm older and my night vision has declined, I want brighter lights more than ever.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I can't keep changing them every year. (esp. since we use them as DRLs)

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got a kit for $50 shipped just to try out since I knew nothing about HID. The cheap bulb that came with it looks like this below.

[​IMG]

The light scatters from the white base of the halogen high beam. I had to point it down, way down. Avoid this type of bulb. I took a pic with this installed with my cell phone below.

[​IMG]

As I look for a better bulb, I got a pair of bulb like this one below for $40. This is the Hi/Lo bulb that can move up and down with a magnetic switch. The center bulb can be slide off (from the green line) and you are left with the exact shape of H4 bulb. This is needed for the rubber boot to seal off water.

This bulb also can be adjusted as well. I plan to install it this weekend. I will take more pics and possibly video as well.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I was wondering about the first bulb. It looks like a halogen bulb next to an HID capsule.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes indeed!.. thats one of the struggles I have having with the new 2010 prius!

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE on my Philips X-Treme Power bulbs:

My driver side low-beam bulb just went out -- exactly 9595 miles after installing it. My passenger side bulb is still good.

I'm going to replace these with another pair of the Philips X-Treme Power bulbs. I like the luminosity of these bulbs so much, to me they're worth the $50 cost and the hassle of changing them every 10,000 miles or so.

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After 115,000 miles +/-..The HIDs finally started to do its wink out and within 4 days, the
    passenger side starts to play the game of wink...i guess not bad for 6 years on the 04...and we work night shifts 98% of the time...so tonight we replaced both with 5000K bulbs...bought on line...for about $120.00/pair...took about 2 1/2 hrs of unscrewing bolts/screws(cooking on grill, at same time)...going back and forth......and just unsnapped the bumper cover and lifted the assembly out and within 5 minutes had the new ones in...road tested and very bright...brighter than my 09 prius...it amazing how dim they get as they age and you dont realize it...so after road test...time for the hamburgers and drink....finally....

12. Carver

Carver New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very impressive write-up! Thanks.The information about Change Halogen Headlamp / Headlight bulb is good enough.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You may have had some bulb weakening whereas some of the material in the bulbs got so corrupted that it wouldn't vaporize any more. Or repeated exposures to heat raised internal resistance within the bulb to prevent as much amperage to pass.

Its also possible that some of the "change" you see is the higher Kelvin bulbs "5000K vs. the 4300K OEM".
    Sometimes the bluer white will be interpreted by the eye as a hotter, fresher, crisper color and that is very subjective and sometimes a mere subliminal perception.

Taking two brand new bulbs side by side, the 4300K should have a tad more output "like 200lumens" than the 5000K.
    Not enough to really make a buying decision by, but I do feel the 4300K is a white that matches closer to daylight.

The only real advantage I see to matching daylight as close as possible is because thats what our eye is used to seeing most of the time so colors from that environment will be accurately interpreted by our brain.

When your driving at 70mph and see a brown object on the road as you come around a corner... subtle shades may help you determine if its a rock that should be avoided verses a small animal thats not worth risking your family over.

disclaimer.....
    .. not saying a rock is more important to save, but rather it would most likely knock you off the road or cause loss of control where a small animal would have to be sacrificed.
    Some folks might not mind risking their own life, family and car for a small animal, ..... I guess everyone will have to assess on their own who has the cruel heart based on what they are willing to sacrifice or save. :cool:

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, Tom.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Boo have you considered the HID kits?.. they aren't very expensive anymore or do you just prefer to keep things simple or do you actually prefer the Phillips xtreme over HID?

In other words, what you you recommend In your opinion and why vs. HID?

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't considered the HID kits because (1) I haven't researched whether they're any good, and (2) I have little or no mechanical ability.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a discussion I started and Nola_prius provided an excellent video with instructions for the 2010...Its prob pretty similiar in the GenIIs.

Thought you may be interested...:D

1 person likes this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted two videos of my bi-xenon HID converted headlights.

Turning on and flashing high beam (sorry about the windshield wiper, duh!)

Driving

3 people like this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How'd you manage to get the high beam function?

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The kit is bi-xenon so the low and high beams are activated by the magnetic switch at the bottom of the bulb. The bulb actually moves up and down.

I found one down side with this approach. The bulb shakes when I go over the bump. It is somewhat annoying but I can live with it. I don't know if that will affect the life of the bulb.

You can get the kit for $60 - $80 on ebay so it is a much better value than $50 for the Phlips X-Treme halogen.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.