1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Change Inverter Coolant

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rosienprius

rosienprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When bleeding, do you have to turn the car into Ready mode?

I am just trying to make sure I do this completely right.

Is the car off during the entire process until the bleed screw is tightened or when do you turn the car on?

Thank you for your help. I'm enjoy the Prius.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make the car IG-ON (where all instrument panel warning lights are on and the Prius is not READY). The inverter coolant pump will be running in this mode.

After you've drained the system and replaced the drain plug (with new gasket, tightening torque is 29 ft.-lb) then fill the reservoir. After you've filled it as much as you can, run the pump for 15-20 seconds, opening the bleed valve to get air out. Then refill the reservoir and repeat until the air is out of the system and you can see fluid turbulence in the reservoir.

1 person likes this.
  3. richmond2000

richmond2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Howiedude1011

Howiedude1011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002. First timer. I'm changing pump so I figured change coolant since it's been at least 35000 miles according to maintenance records. I want to make sure I'm right on with this .Do I bleed both at the same time and do I have the engine one? Also will a siphon work on this also?

5. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Done! Around 95K on my 2nd Gen. Watched the video and got the Torque Spec in this thread from Patrick Wong 29 ft. lbs.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does anyone know the procedure for a Gen III? Specifically, a Gen III Plug-in?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Droford

Droford New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do if you can't open the bleed valve? I've sprayed mine 4 or 5 times but it will not open with a 10 mm rachet wrench. I turned it so hard without it moving that it bent about 1/2 inch over. Given how small it is Im out of ideas. I've gotten a little over 2qts into it but not nearly close to what came out when it was drained. Can it be bled out naturally by letting it sit (i noticed I could add more coolant into the reservoir today as opposed to when I left it yesterday)? Im not going to drive it any time soon since I have other work to do.