1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Change Your Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Triparadox, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't tried @Mendel Leisk's paint can opener, but I like the idea. Need to try to remember that next time. I seem to have good enough success with just a small flat screwdriver and a modicum of patience. But I always appreciate a better idea.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's basically a screw driver with a bent tip, which is advantagous, like a mini pry bar.

Rolls Royce I think would be something akin to battery clamp puller, that grabs both sides. But that makes it harder to lever, and it would be tricky to design an optimum jaw angle/size.

3. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I changed the ATF & coolant today, thanks for all the good information on this site it was a big help. Once I had the transmission drained I poked around inside with a little inspection camera. I didn't really know what I was looking for but everything looked good to me, all the teeth were still there and in uniform.
    20191124_145523.jpg

Once I replaced the fluid I wanted to make sure it was full so I stuck the camera in again to look at the fluid level, my hands had some ATF on them so my daughter took this picture for me.
    SmartSelect_20191124-204724_Gallery.jpg

The 2011 Prius has 121,834 miles on it and I have had it for almost 12 months, it had 78k when I bought it so I just assumed the ATF and Coolant was the original fill. The old ATF came out almost black.
    SmartSelect_20191124-204601_Gallery.jpg

Robert Holt, Triparadox, RMB and 2 others like this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed mine at 120,000 miles. It was extremely dark. I changed it again at 170,000,
    it wasn't quite at dark, but still dark.
    Unlike brake fluid., I don't believe the color is a good indicator of when it should be changed.
    It's cheaper to spend a little money and time to change it regularly then to replace the transmission! :)
    It certainly won't hurt it.

Bbonez and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For you who have changed it, how did you fill it in? Using a pump? Also, did you have to take out the splash panel as I saw one guy posting that I might not have to remove it...

6. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Forced a dealer to change my ‘lifetime’ fluid at 47,000 when I bought my Prius pre-owner, I gladly paid for the service. I asked him to capture some in a clear water bottle. He was shocked as I was when it came out black.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use a funnel with a 3 foot hose extension (roughly 15 mm OD), car raised and leveled on safety stands, and the engine under panel removed. I'm not sure if it could be done with the panel in place, it might be awkward to reach, and the draining fluid might hit it too. I've removed the panel maybe 24 times? for every (6 month) oil change, and for various other reasons.

You get very used to it and it goes quick. OTOH, if you've never removed it, the fasteners are likely going to be problematic. Maybe have a few spares on hand. These are the part numbers, and quantities, if you were to replace them all:

(11) - 90467-07201 (regular)
    (2) - 90467-09227 (bigger, grey headed caps, 2 loc's at the rear)

Wash them out in hot/soapy water and work the mechanism of each, before reinstalling.

Have a extra long-handled ratchet wrench makes removal of the transaxle fill and drain bolt a lot easier.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At the meetups we use a pump and do the filling from above;).

We’ve got it down:).

Also thinking The Weekend of December 14th might work too(y).

9. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased 5 quarts of ATF before I started the job, I didn't want to have to go back in the middle of the job if I accidentally spilled one or something. So today I went back and returned a quart while I was picking up some of the fasteners and the part # they sold me are different from what you listed above. The (regular) ones I got looked identical to the ones I removed. The bigger one looked different but worked. Here are the part numbers and prices from my local dealership:
    20191125_211806.jpg
    Now I have 2 spares in the glove box.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be they updated. I was able to get the other part numbers, from Japan. They're around $1.50 (CDN) apiece, plus about $10 for shipping pouch. I really have to start consolidating purchases though.

I'm not sure which numbers are kosher; I got those from an under cover TSB.

I'll try to check tomorrow, curious now.

Bbonez likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bbonez likes this.
  12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’ve done it with a pump and also with a funnel/hose. I think the pump approach is better, because with the long funnel/tube, once the tranny is full, you’ve got a lot of oil in the doggone tube, and it’s going to go somewhere.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just go real slow with the 4th bottle, 100 cc at a time. Keep the spill pan under. And scream stopstopstop when it happens.

You should discard the excess anyway. I've got a Toyota publication somewhere, says to only use freshly opened bottles. Kinda like brake fluid. Might be overkill, who knows.

Found it (attached). Excerpt (that first line I don't agree with...):

upload_2019-11-26_12-26-44.png

Attached Files:

#113 Mendel Leisk, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! You typed that up real good! :)

Considering they say you NEVER need to change it, there would be no real reason to save something
    you wouldn't ever be using, so why keep it?
    But, since MOST people change it at 50,000 after doing it once, that 1/4 quart isn't going to be a problem.
    Unless it's 2 year between changes.....
    I used the last bit in the quart jug, everything is fine.
    Toyota says "ATS-WS "MAY" absorb moisture...". That doesn't mean it WILL. It MAY.
    When you open the transmission, air gets inside, what keeps it from absorbing moisture their?

Brake fluid will, and does absorb moisture.... so use it up, or throw it away if it won't be used soon.

I think it was 3 3/4 of a quart to fill it right? So you fill it with 3 3/4 of a quart, then get under there and pull
    the hose out. It will probably seep out. If you have to add more only add what's needed. Let it drain out
    of the tube so when you pull it out there will only be a little in there and not make a mess.

But it's a small amount, so throwing it away if you don't plan on using it for a year or two is not a biggie.

You could always vacuum seal it, and then you could use it. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're concerned, who knows how important though.

Like you say, a little bit left over, and a few years till the next change (if ever), no biggie.

16. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My thinking is this, Once you torque down the drain and fill plugs the CVT is sealed and the air inside is probably less than a cubic foot so even if the ATF absorbs all of the moisture in that small amount of air it would be negligible. If the ATF is sitting on a shelf in the garage with new air constantly circulating through the amount of moisture is potentially much higher. Even if I could save a quarter of a quart it would take me 4 drain and fills before I could save $10.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The trans would have a lot more air than the 3/4 empty bottle, that you would squeeze the air
    out of. It's sealed, So it doesn't matter how much air is OUTSIDE of the bottle, it can't get inside of it.
    Unless you leave the cap off...
    The remaining portion wouldn't be subjected to the heat and stress that the transmission would be.

Save it, or throw it away. It really doesn't matter.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did use left-over fluid, a cup or two, every time I've done it. Only noticed that Toyota edict in the last year or two. I'm not losing any sleep over it, but if I ever do another change guess I'd abide by it.

Bbonez likes this.
  19. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cool! I should be able to attend it. Just for the last clarification, I only need to bring the fluids right? Consumables like the push pins are already available?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, never had to remove the engine panel even when I'm changing the oil. I think it's gonna be stiff. I just hope the meetup can happen soon since it seems too much work to do for a beginner.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.