1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to charge a HV battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Steven Stolle, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Steven Stolle

Steven Stolle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone advise me on how to charge the high voltage battery on a 2011 Prius Hybrid? The car was parked for several weeks while undergoing repairs. The 'Check Hybrid System' message displays and the car starts for under two minutes then shuts off. This model is not a plugin model. There is one bar showing for the HV battery. Do I have to remove the battery to charge it or can that be done from the connector at the power inverter? Thanks for helping me what to do.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt that the issue is low HV battery when the car does start. Get an OBDII reader and find out why the 'Check Hybrid System' message is showing.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. You need a code reader to find out what's triggering that message. Only having one bar won't bring it up. One bar is a little under 40% state of charge, iirc. However, once you get that low, repeated start attempts of the car without fixing the actual problem could run the traction battery dangerously low.

You could have a bad battery cell, corroded connections, or lots other possibilities. Using a Prius literate code reader is how you start the investigation.

4. Steven Stolle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I've ordered one that has the Techstream Software. I'll let you know what the problem is.

5. Steven Stolle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I've ordered one that has the Techstream Software. I'll let you know what the problem is.

6. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It has been 2 years, how was it? Check hybrid system often caused by dirty intake air cooler for the battery. Toyota suggested on the TSB for turn the car on for 30 minutes every 2 months. Disconnect negative terminal on the battery cable for more than 1 month off and put it in trickle charger.

In my opinion, just turn the car once a month for at least 30 minutes to keep both batteries in good level