1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to check coolant type

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by isaacgreene, Jun 8, 2017.

1. isaacgreene

isaacgreene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Quick questions with hopefully quick answer. What is an easy way to check what kind of coolant is in my prius? The issue is I know it is low (quite low) because I can't actually see it in the overflow reservoir. I have some SLLC on hand (just replaced my inverter coolant pump thanks to many helpful threads here), but I have no way of knowing if that's what's in there, and have heard not to mix it with other coolants. I know there are several release valves, but would like to check in the least invasive way possible. It's starting to heat up, and I want to make sure there is sufficient coolant before we get into 90 degree days. thanks.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe it's time to have the cooling system drained and pressure tested.

Until then, you could just add plain distilled water......if you get fresh coolant in before winter.

Note: It is fairly common for the bottle to "cloud" so that you can't see the level from outside.
    Before you add anything, open the top and look into the mouth of the bottle with a flashlight.
    There might be more in there than you think.

If it really is very low, then there is a leak than needs to be fixed.

3. isaacgreene

isaacgreene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Sam. I'm at 163k miles, so that's probably a good idea. I looked inside but couldn't really see anything with the plastic piece right below the opening. I did hold a strong flashlight up to the side and still couldn't see any liquid level. I've only had this car since september though, so I really have no way of knowing where the levels were, although I assume it was filled. I considered flushing/refilling, so I may go ahead and do that soon and then make sure the level holds.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember correctly, Toyota recommends strongly against using straight water (even distilled) for any length of time (other than a bona fide emergency to get to a shop, flush it out, and replace it all). They rely on the "anti-freeze" these days for a lot of chemical properties besides the freezing and boiling points.

SLLC will be what's in there unless some previous owner used the wrong stuff.

Maybe just buy the right quantity to do a full fill, and drain some. Probably, what you drain out will look like SLLC, and you can complete the drain and refill with no worries. If the coin lands on edge, something else will come out, and then you might want to flush more diligently before putting SLLC back in. (But then, in that case, do you think whoever-it-was put the wrong stuff in was that diligent?)

Does Gen 2 still have a radiator cap? Gen 3 doesn't, but Gen 1 did. If so, you should be able to see some in the top of the radiator. (If you can't see any there, your situation is a bit more urgent than just having none in the overflow bottle.)

-Chap

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes but...........
    The assumption was that the cooling system wasn't empty, just a bit low.
    And my suggestion WAS to do that only as a temporary measure.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Remove the upper splash shield (six pesky fasteners) and look in the cold radiator. If you don't see coolant there, definitely pressure test the system.

7. isaacgreene

isaacgreene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, exactly what I needed.

8. isaacgreene

isaacgreene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the reply. Gen II does have a radiator cap, so I'll check in there like you and andrewclaus suggested.