1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to check which speed sensor is bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by myothercarisahummer, Jan 21, 2019.

1. myothercarisahummer

myothercarisahummer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys, noob here. I have been reading a bunch of threads here in regards of speed sensors.

I have a 2010 prius sedan and have had abs,brake light come on intermittently. Once they are on the ABS does not work, it would come on and off randomly.

My questions are: they come on when they feel like it, when I scan the car with OBD there is nothing stored, can some one quickly reference me to how to check which speed sensor is bad? I know there are speed censors in front and rear.

I cleared the OBD and took the battery off, have not had it come on for little while.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Abs scanner or tech stream

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Quickest way to the solution is probably to assume less about what the problem might be (speed sensors or whatever) and just read the trouble codes (using Techstream or, absent that, the Tc-to-CG jumper, so as not to rely on other code readers that might miss the codes).

If it turns out the trouble is a speed sensor, there are separate codes for the four of 'em, so once you have the codes, then you'll know. Or, if the trouble is something else, you'll know that too.