1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clean AC? (Dealers refused to apply AC Refresher Kit)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by T807361237, Jul 2, 2019.

1. T807361237

T807361237 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi all,

The AC of my 2016 Prius started to have mold (stinky and bitter) smell after this spring (it rained a lot more than usual). I asked two Toyota dealer near me to do something about it. They both said there was this option of applying a Refresher Kit, but because Prius is a hybrid, Toyota would not allow it to avoid damage to internal electronics. One of them did change the air filter behind the glovebox, but it did not do much.

I have seen walkthrough of using those foam cleaner on older Prius, but I cannot find any relevant info on applying those treatment on a Gen 4 Prius. Has anyone here ever have such experiences or have been able to clean the AC with foam cleaner to prove the dealers wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Have you tried putting the heater on full fan, full heat to dry the system out ?
    It has worked for me in the past with other cars, not had a smelly AC with this one yet.
    Another option is an aerosol cleaner that you put in the foot well with the AC running, to kill off the bacteria.

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Get out your warranty book and call Toyota directly.
    I think those two dealers are giving you BAD information.
    Seems like I remember that my dealer tried to talk me INTO doing the treatment on mine.

4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It's also worth pulling out any floor mats you have and giving them a good clean and maybe shampooing the carpet, sometimes the smell can emanate from there.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Air conditioning works by running the air coming into the cabin through a chilled radiator. Look at a glass of icewater on a hot day: it's coated with condensation. The same thing happens with the car's A/C.

If you run the A/C near constantly, and in particular run it right up until shut down, you're regularly leaving the car sitting, with a lot of moisture in there. And eventually stuff starts to grow.

If and when you get it cleaned out I'd recommend:

1. Changing your usage somewhat, just go without A/C when practical, in particular for short trips where it's maybe not going to be that effective. Roll the windows down.

2. When running A/C, turn it off a mile or two before your destination, but keep the fan running. This'll give the humidity/condensation in the system more time to dissipate.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    kithmo and Montgomery like this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have applied both these suggestions myself.

I sometimes do a "Lawrence of Arabia" drive, where I crank the heat up, set the vent to recirculate, yell.."Nothing is Written!" and regardless of outside temperature drive the car letting the whole system heat up. I too, have never had a mold problem. BUT...
    I don't know if it really has a connection to doing this...can't prove it. I just think it's fun. It's like driving a sweat lodge, while looking for your spirit animal.

Also, I do think this is possibly a much more preventative measure. Once you have mold or mildew in the system? Don't know if you could generate enough heat to really remove the problem. I think this is possibly drying the system out in more of a preventative action.

I also do this. Again...can't prove it's working..but I haven't ever had a problem. And again, don't know how much this helps once Mold or Mildew has actually grown in the system.

And finally, I have to admit as I age, my sense of smell is deteriorating. I think a skunk could pass away in my air intake duct, and I might not notice it until black and white hairs start blowing out the vents.

So...maybe I should just recuse myself from any further advice.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh hell, you made my day :ROFLMAO:

The Electric Me likes this.