1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clean and test the egr valve?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Caldwell, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To save $$$ i bought a new egr cooler but am using the original egr valve after cleaning it. Have it separated from cooler cooler. The half with the angled port is separated, and will clean out the port bore and the inside of valve as much as possible. But the valve is closed. Id like to open it up for more thorough cleaning. It has several pins so i guess its a stepper motor. So id have to ground certain pins and power certain others? Any way to do this with a variable bench power supply. I wasny getting a p401 code, just p300 code ....but i sure would like to test that it works.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can do it with a 12 VDC supply and a couple of SPDT pushbuttons. Take a look at this post and this one.

3. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can take off the two Philips screws to take off that plastic cover with the pins. Then by hand, unscrew that metal piece (there will be a spring inside of it). That way you can manually push open the egr valve and clean as you’d like.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you go that route, those screws may be uncooperative.

Either a hand impact driver (the kind you twist counterclockwise and bop with a hammer), or a "seized fastener removal tool" as from Lisle or Thexton, makes light work of it. Gentle touch. The screws need more of a little surprise than any real pounding.