1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To Clean Battery Cooling Vent

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macarose, Jul 8, 2023.

1. macarose

macarose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi there. Hope all is well.

I just got a 2017 Prius Prime and it's obvious that the prior owner let his dog take rides in the back.

I want to make sure that the cooling fans work as well as possible for both batteries. How do I remove the back seats and/or the plastic moldings to get access to that area?

Thanks for all you do..

2. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The plastic molding for the two filters near the rear seat belts pop off with a trim removal tool, then you can vacuum the filters. There is also a vent port (or two, I can’t remember) at the rear seat at floor mat level. Give them a good vacuuming with a shop vac.

3. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    These two areas you need to address. Bottom has no filters, just vacuum. Top has filters.

Charging air intakes.jpg rear side vents.jpg

4. MarcoDC

MarcoDC New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you for the filter cleaning video link!
    I have a question about a related service the dealership offered my wife.

She went in for scheduled service and they gave her an estimate with this item marked as needing "IMMEDIATE ATTENTION":

Hybrid fan cleaning:
    Hybrid System Intake Vent for Cooling Fan requires periodic service.

It was a $185 service.

She would have done it if not for sensing a "frighten a woman into giving us money" vibe as they overplayed their hand and also listed a 12V battery replacement as requiring "IMMEDIATE ACTION" for another $340

What exactly does this "Hybrid Fan cleaning" involve? My guess is that it must be a nearly trivial service judging by the battery replacement costing $135 more than their own list price for the battery -- they certainly have a frighteningly high labor cost markup. So if a five-minute battery swap has $135 in labor cost, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Hybrid Fan Cleaning" involves sticking a vacuum or compressed air in a duct.

But I can't find any information on this service or any instructions on what it involves

TYIA!