1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clear Permanent P0A80 Code?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusMechanic, Aug 8, 2020.

1. PriusMechanic

PriusMechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot of threads about the P0A80 Permanent code and there has been a lot of conflicting information. So I just want to start a post to maybe clarify some of the confusions. I have recently got a P0A80 code to replace the HV Battery and a "check hybrid system" on the dash. I can make a post about how I did it later if people are interested, but I was able to test the entire pack cell by cell and found about 12 cells that only had a capacity of 1000mAH to 2000mAH and the rest are all above 4000mAH. So I replaced these 12 bad cells with some that are at least 4000mAH and balance-charged the whole pack. Anyway, I am sure the battery is good now. I was able to drive the Prius after, and all the current and pending codes are gone. The only code remaining is a "P0A80" Permanent code. The code is not showing current or pending. It is under the permanent section. My question is how long do I have to drive the Prius to reset the code? From what I read 600miles seems to be the magic number of miles. Does anyone have anything to add to that statement? Or maybe it is not mile based but driving cycle based? Thanks, and please don't clog up the thread with replies like "go to the dealer," or it can't be done at home.

Danno5060 likes this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One feller had a brake issue and said not to reply with go to dealership or get CEL codes. Threw parts at it and then changed his mind after thousands of dollars spent.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Techstream always cleared mine.

4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, what scan tool are you using?

Not sure if the attached will be helpful...

Attached Files:

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a different code for an isolation fault ?
    Did you check for isolation faults while you had it apart ??

6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are correct at looking to drive 600 miles but off another 600 miles or so.
    So just drive it and know that by next oil change it will be gone.

7. mrtoofay

mrtoofay New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased a 11' with HV battery problem. After fixing the battery, I couldn't smog my car to transfer title due to the permanent code. I tried driving around town for 200 miles over 3~4 days, that didn't work. So one night, after dinner, I took my prius on the freeway and drove for 80miles, never droping below 70mph. That did the trick.

Not sure if it's the total miles, or the higher speed. Or it's just random.

8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just passed smog with the same permanent code so as long as the check engine light is not on then it should be able to get a smog.

PriusMechanic likes this.
  9. mrtoofay

mrtoofay New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Umm.. The guy failed me due to the permanent code. I guess next time I'll go to a new place.

10. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea go to another place.

11. PriusMechanic

PriusMechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply AzusaPrius! It seems like you understood the difference between pending, current, and permanent codes. I really appreciate people like you sharing useful knowledge and making these online forums worthwhile. I did pass smog after about 1000 miles. I don't know when the permanent code cleared, but it was between 600-1000 miles. Do you recommend any other online forums related to Prius repair?

AzusaPrius likes this.
  12. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you and I cant wait until mine goes away.

There are like three other sites that may help like toyotanation.com
    I will try and remember the other two.

13. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Priusforum.com and priusonline.com

They may be good places.

#13 AzusaPrius, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  14. jbeyer

jbeyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can someone in this thread help me understand if a P0A80 or other code related to the hybrid battery would always cause the Check Engine light to come on? I've got a thread up here (would a battery 'code' trigger the check engine light? | PriusChat), but haven't gotten any responses.
    And it seems like everyone in this thread is pretty knowledgable about pulling the codes.

Thanks!

15. Marco Souza

Marco Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    some folks mentioned that techstream clear the PA080 permanent fault code but it doesn`t techstream is able to clear pending PA080. i also have two other great computer`s that can perform any task and they`re not able to clear this fault. The only way to get rid of this F.... code is to drive the car over 600 miles or possibly 1500 miles in order to ECU monitor completes and passes three consecutive trips. but i believe instead of 3 trips the ECU needs 40 consecutive trips in order to finally clear the fault. *This information is available on Techstream Software the only bummer is that Toyota doesn`t tell what TRIP MEANS IN MILES OR TIME for completion of this reading. as long the Triangle or check hybrid system doesn`t come back within a few miles your battery should be fine. by then the battery cells are stable and equalized in another word they need to help one another and spread the charge btw them and for that to happen it takes a while of steady charging. day after day they`ll be stronger and stronger if you drive a lot or if you only drive few miles from home to work and back home, they`ll get weaker day after day.
    Ex: I have costumer who are Ride share drivers and they`re prius have over 300.000 miles on it s and they never had any issues with hybrid battery.
    The hybrid battery cells are stronger than a Prius with only 80.000 miles. actually a friend of mine sold he`s Prius with over 400.000 miles and never had any trouble with the hybrid battery.

*********Another route is to schedule a smog referee after you car fails smog " all hybrid warning lights and check engine light needs to off and all monitors cycled ready for smog.*************

Attached Files:

16. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a pretty old document (March 2002); for Marco's 2010, the instructions in the repair manual are probably more up-to-date.

There can be a specific confirmation driving pattern for the particular permanent code you are trying to clear; it'll be found in the manual section for that code. There is also a "universal trip", which should do the trick when there isn't a specific pattern.

(Note that the Prius pattern referred to in that old 2002 document is for an EVAP code, not a battery code; that's why it starts with the cold soak.)

18. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just checked mine again yesterday because I had a misfire code pop up and noticed my permanent code was gone.

I think after driving the car said miles and letting it sit for a few days helps erase the permanent code.

Also I passed smog with the permanent code so I guess it depends where you go if they will pass it as long as check engine light is not on

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Victor Hernandez likes this.
  19. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have the same P0A80 on my new to me gen 3. after fixing the engine and the battery. i went to get smogged and failed for permanent code. the Smog guy told me i need to do 15 consecutive drive cycles and 200 miles total accumulated to clear it. unfortunately, after i left. the battery suddenly died again after performing great for 5 days. 3 blocks have an issue. after i fix that. i will try what he said to see if that will clear it up.

edit: i just found the source of my smog mans info. The CA Bar. under #10 and onward.
    https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Permanent_Diagnostic_Trouble_Codes.aspx
    i read it to mean that while the PDTC isnt cleared from the car computer. it will be ignored by the smog computer.

#19 tacopyro, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  20. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    update: i was able to pass smog after i fixed the battery. i was mistaken to say 15 consecutive drive cycles. i should have said 15 consecutive warm-up cycles and 200 miles. drive cycles are different from warm-up cycles.

according to the CA BAR. "A warm-up cycle means driving a vehicle so that the engine coolant temperature rises by at least 40 degrees Fahrenheit after the engine is started and reaches at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit."

of course, it goes without saying you should not get another DTC/MIL while doing the cycles or back to step zero.

On a cool 70F day. i was able to do 8 warm-up cycles without driving. as long as it fell below 120F before you start it, and reaches 160F it will add 1 count to the warm-up cycle. i could probably do more but life gets in the way. today i did the 200 mi run. i had 202.5 when i got to the smog place. i passed smog no problem.

here is a video i took of one run. hope the link works.

i also read from one of the threads on here that it takes 40 consecutive warm-up cycles to be able to remove a permanent code. im not clear whether it erases itself or you can erase after 40 warm-up cycles. i'll find out when i get there.

On the 40 warm-up cycles, the info on that is located @ 40 CFR § 86.1806-05 and 13 CCR § 1968.2. (look for "warm-up cycles")
    Info on Permanent DTC erasures are on the 2nd link. (look for section 2.5)
    Thanks to Elektroingenieur for the links.

#20 tacopyro, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    pjksr02 likes this.