1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clear Permanent P0A80 Code?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusMechanic, Aug 8, 2020.

1. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The permanent code will delete on its own.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

tacopyro likes this.
  2. Victor Hernandez

Victor Hernandez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    By any chance do u know were i can take mine and so they can pass smog i got a 2010 i fix the batteries and it still showing i also live close to azusa

3. RideCustom

RideCustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have 2012 prius. For the longest time I have been having the same issue. I tried to drive it for months, and it still didn't clear the permanent P0A80 code. It was super frustrating. I am definitely not a Toyota technician (so whatever I posted on here may or may not be the "by the book" method). However, I have done quite a bit of the prius (both gen2 and gen3) hybrid battery recondition, replacement, and diagnostics with tech stream over many years. What I have always done in the past to test if the rebuilt/reconditioned battery pack will work was after installing it, I always let it idle and put electrical load on the car (with head lights on, AC on, stereo on) to let it cycle for at least 20-30mins, just to make sure the "triangle of death" doesn't come back...and if it does, then I must have missed something in one of the 28 modules, which happened before but rarely.

Now, when it comes to my 2012 prius, I realize that I never let my car sit idling to go thru the charge/discharge cycles (stupid me), I always immediately took it for a test drive to try to set the emission monitor. ALL the monitors were cleared and good to go, but the permanent P0A80 code didn't go away, and idk where most of you guys are from or how they do that in your part of town, but here in CA, they won't pass my car with that permanent code on! (that's what they told me).

So i finally let my prius sat and idled for about 30mins with AC on full blast, headlights on, radio on, to allow it to go through the charging cycle (i guess this somehow test the parameters of those hybrid pack to see if it's within the acceptable range). Took it for a test drive to set all the emission monitor, drove about 3 miles, shut the engine off, restart it up again....the permanent code is GONE!! and ready for smog!!

Lifer99 likes this.
  4. RideCustom

RideCustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I use tech stream, it doens't clear permanent code. All i did was let the car sit on idling for 20-30mins, put ac on full blast to let it cycle thru the hybrid battery several times, took it for test drive to set the IM. All green and ready to go within a couple of miles, permanent code cleared, ready for smog.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right, that's pretty close to what the official confirmation driving pattern is that you find in the repair manual for that code.

6. Andre Ethier

Andre Ethier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced my hybrid battery three weeks ago with a refurbished and 2500 miles later the PO A80 code is still permanent. Can’t get it to smog. I drive 70 miles per day one way for work. usually use the cruise control about 70 75 mph. Need help,Thanks

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Observe what RideCustom did above, which is pretty close to what the official confirmation driving pattern is that you find in the repair manual for that code.

If that doesn't do the trick for you, then you can go to the last resort, and actually follow the confirmation driving pattern in the manual.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

8. JakeTheHuman92

JakeTheHuman92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

People pose looking for accurate objective based answers.. technical information. Things they can try and the reasons they might want to.. Not for suggestions, by people who do not have the knowledge to answer their query in a way that will help them gain meaningful understanding pertaining to whatever their inquiry is related to me ‍♂️

Danno5060 likes this.
  9. smwalker

smwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TacoPyro on page one of this thread has the right idea for CA drivers. You need to drive it 200 miles and have 15 warm up cycles and you will pass a CA smog. The Permanent code will not clear but rather it will be ignored by the state smog computer.

What you may run into though is inspectors who do not know this information and do a precheck on your car, see the permanent code and try to send you away without a smog test. Kindly ask them to run the test. If they refuse send in a complaint on them to the BAR and keep trying other shops till you find someone that can read and comprehend a BAR update.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For most permanent codes, the confirmation driving pattern shown in the repair manual will be a whole lot quicker and easier than 200 miles and 15 warmup cycles. Being lazy, I'd probably just do that, and show up for inspection with the codes gone, and not have to worry about what the inspectors know or how to file a complaint.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

11. smwalker

smwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What one would you follow for P0A80 ?? Did not see it listed specifically. Or would just a general Complete drive cycle do it?

12. smwalker

smwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh found it says to perform a "Universal Trip" Ever seen a definition of that? Could not find reference to it.

download.jpg

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the Universal Trip is a common ingredient that crops up in a lot of indvidual codes' confirmation patterns, so "Universal Trip Driving Pattern" just appears once, in the DTC CHECK / CLEAR subsection near the front of the engine diagnosis section.

14. smwalker

smwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Found it. Seems like a pretty common pattern can't imagine why these codes would not clear in a few days of driving normally with this pattern. Although I guess the key is putting it in inspection mode yea? That would make all the difference I would assume.

download.jpg

15. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Plus, you need to complete #7 in your post #32 after you complete the universal trip.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

smwalker likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^ This.

The universal trip is an ingredient in the confirmation driving pattern for each code.

There's still a confirmation driving pattern for each code. You still need to do all of it, for it to have the intended effect.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good Lord this is interesting weirdness here so this must be a Gen 3 specific thing That's why my bad battery code hasn't cleared in 5 years in the red solar roof car it's still there today when we can in fact actually read the DTCs through the OBD2 port which has been sketchy at best realizes cars never been in an accident has no electrical problems everything in the car and on the cars in perfect working order except the number one cylinder the fire's getting put out like they do The car has been parked now for months is not driven every so often I start it and drive it up and down the street with the still same bad battery code that's been stored for 5 years this car is made trips for Uber Yelp DoorDash and all of that for 6 days a week for those 5 years since the 2015 battery was installed in this 2010 car 5 years ago. I've never looked at what trips are how trips work what Toyota thinks a trip is versus what a the other cycle all are talking about is If we haven't been through all of them and then some well there's that the cars never been in the inspection mode and it's life while we've owned it I guess now that it's finally parked the code is moot and doesn't really matter. I will say having all these same codes on 3 different generation twos all the second series of the twos '06 and up 06 to '09 none of these codes have ever taken any of these antics to clear in a generation 2 that we've owned so far and more are coming so it seems to be a gen3 thing . All codes we've had on the twos have gone away by pushing the buttons or turning the car back on when the problems fixed. Point blank none of this stuff here no driving a thousand miles none of that That's a total waste of gas seriously though telling me I need you to drive a thousand miles to complete a cycle or whatever or whatever the mileage is hopefully it's under a hundred six hundred that's ridiculous It's right around for 600 mi because we need to clear a code now you've blown the gas mileage for the last 3 years holy Christ not really but yeah.