1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to communicate clearly with an MD?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Mar 26 2007, 01:37 AM) [snapback]412177[/snapback]</div>
    long story. i'd rather forget it ever happened.

thank you again, seth, for your contributions. i have put in a formal "dispute" on the bill, so hopefully they'll hold off on sending us to collections. i told the billing clerk that until we determine whether the procedure was correct or not, we were not going to pay for anything. she said that if it was determined that the wrong thing was done, they'd be happy to cancel the bill, but the call needed to be made by the doctor.

and now we wait, for the doctor. DH calls there twice a week and leaves messages with them.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Mar 26 2007, 02:07 AM) [snapback]412185[/snapback]</div>
    ahh yes. one of the country's best university hospitals is 3 miles from our home. our original orthopedist is affiliated with that very health system. in fact, finding a non-duke medical facility in this town is extremely difficult. unfortunately, we have reached a point where we cannot afford to pay hospital rates (20%). since we've gotten opinions from 2 separate (prominent) surgeons indicating they can't do anything for us, we really don't expect to hear differently from a third. finances are becoming critical, we've already spent 5 figures on this with mostly counterproductive results.

oh i forget how it goes for him... the problem is that epidural steroid injections, which should help by numbing the nerve root, stopped working 3 weeks after the first one. we've pretty much moved away from the spinal structure as causing the problem.

do you get copies of your films? one thing we've done is collect a copy of EVERYTHING as we go along for our personal records.

thanks. i will check that out.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 26 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]412295[/snapback]</div>
    I understand. The thing I found was that the Director of the Ortho program was at the same level as far as my insurance was concerned as the newly minted doctor who is "affiliated" with the hospital. Its obvious to me this guy is miles ahead of the other doctors. I had a similar experience when my wife got a DX of pulmonary hypertension (median life expectancy: 3 years from DX). I sought out the best expert I could find, this one at USC, and had to pay privately. But we found out then that she didn't have the kind of PH that has the short life expectancy, and he had an associate doctor here in our town (who wasn't taking new patients, but his business card got us in the door). Its hard to find the great doctors, but asking at the HealthBoards is one way to find other patients who have had good experiences.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 26 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]412295[/snapback]</div>
    And you've done the "muscle" thing with therapeutic massage too. Maybe the tests for the immune system will show something. Hope it does work out somehow between all the things you've been trying so you at least learn what it is and can at least "take control" of the care in some way. That loss of control over your own life was half the problem for me; I hate that feeling.

We are getting copies of everything now. I had one doctor who died, and all his records disappeared. Less likely with large hospitals, but it is a hassle to get the records forwarded (I have to wait two weeks for UCLA to transfer records over to my neurologist.)