1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to confirm battery is needed

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ps6000, Jan 27, 2023.

1. ps6000

ps6000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m looking to confirm that a battery replacement is needed.

about a month ago I received a check traction battery error. I have not had time to mess around with the Prius till now. The 12v was dead but that is taken care of. Right now the car will not start, I get the shift to p when starting error. I have download Dr Prius and ran the battery test which is attached. No error codes are showing up other than generic p3000 which was cleared and didn’t come back.

I’m fine with replacing the battery but the diagnosis scares me. I want to make sure it’s the battery and not something else.

can anyone help with identifying if it is the battery that is dead? Is there something else I should be doing to diagnose?

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like the car sat for a long time. What is the year model and miles? This gets you better advice.

Module 11 is really bad. Buy something that gets you new cells if you plan to keep the car for more than a year.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How did you "take care of it" ??
    If it was just with a charge.......the battery might still be bad.

4. ps6000

ps6000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 with 178k on the odometer.
    Do you think I should replace the cells or the entire battery?

5. ps6000

ps6000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced the battery. The 12v was bad.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it depends on your circumstances and what you want to accomplish. for long term reliability, new is the only way to go. but you have to consider the other expensive repair possibilities like head gasket and brake actuator.
    replacing cells is temporary, and may have to be done often

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Everyone including Toyota dealers just change the cells. Some sellers give you a used assembly with new or used cells and require a substantial core deposit. Toyota only uses new cells.

Many go for used/reconditioned cells with poor to so so results. Often these last only weeks or months instead of another ten years. This is regardless of their used warranty which may lay up your car for a week everytime until they stop responding.

A couple of fly by nights sell new aftermarket Chinese nickel metal hydrite cells with similar to factory chemistry. Supply chain or pyramid schemes get in their way and they often have customers pay up front and then wait for many months.

Another small operator with better references sells lithium cell upgrades.

New Toyota nickel metal hydrite or after market lithium would be my choice assuming I was not immediately flipping the car. Changing thd cells yourself is advanced diy but requires no core deposit and lowers overall costs.

#7 rjparker, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023