1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to connect subwoofer to JBL amplifier - 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by WoodyP, Oct 9, 2017.

1. WoodyP

WoodyP New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This weekend, I successfully added my Boss powered subwoofer to 2010 Prius with JBL amplifier.
    Let me share since this took a lot of searching and trial.

First, the JBL amplifier is located under the PASSENGER seat. It has a plastic cover over it, held on with two plastic rivits. Slide seat all the way forward and remove the plastic parts. Save to reinstall later.

The low frequencies are on the blue/middle connector. Black (Left+)/Yellow (Left-), and Red (Right+)/White (Right-). I tapped in to these speaker connections and ran to high level input to my powered subwoofer. I insulated and secured using hot glue sticks. I'm sure there are better ways. First attempt, I used the white connector on left, which had same color wires, but these go to tweeters, so crossovers filtered out the lows already.

20171008_103852.jpg

JBL closeup.png

Closeup of blue connector with wires attached to red/white and black/yellow wires.

I ran power to subwoofer directly from +12V battery, located next to storage bin on passenger side of trunk. Normally this is light blue wire in this vintage of Toyota. You want to be able to pull enough current without worrying about wire loss.

For switched "accessory" power, I grabbed it from grey wire under drivers seat (Satellite/media electronics).

Stereo sounds great now. Much fuller sound, like the bands just hired a bass guitarist and drummer!

HeadOfJarg and Radiospank like this.
  2. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where did you install the subwoofer?

3. WoodyP

WoodyP New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Boss1200 is low profile, so I have it sitting behind drivers seat right now, but that will limit leg room in back seat. Also going to try the hatchback/trunk and see if I hear or feel a difference.

4. WoodyP

WoodyP New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    10/30/17 Update: Found the Boss interface to balanced JBL amp was a problem. Really needs isolation transformers. Moving the Boss to wife's Camry and using Kenwood amplified bass tube in the Prius. Works well!

Daigi_ likes this.
  5. ltwhiteagle

ltwhiteagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @WoodyP Thanks for the post and pics, they're quite helpful. I had a few question if you don't mind.

Are the wires you tapped outputs from the amp to the speakers, or inputs from the head unit to the amp?

If you tapped the outputs, was there a reason why vs the inputs?

6. georgegui

georgegui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @WoodyP
    hi where in nj are you located? I bought this kit:
    Amp and Subwoofer install? | PriusChat

NVX Powered BOOST Kit for 2010-2015 Toyota Prius (PBK-TOY-PRIG3-NSW104v2 B.O.O.S.T.)

from sonicelectronix

Was wondering how to tap the wires properly. Can't i just use the rear speakers?

7. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so the white connector has the tweeter connections? do you have the pin out information like White left | red right?