1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to convert from hid to halogen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by repnatl, Aug 11, 2017.

1. repnatl

repnatl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife has factory hid in her 06 and I just put black housing headlamps on mine which are halogen but with an aftermarket hid kit. Does anybody know how to convert hid headlamps to halogen style so I can get rid of the problematic factory hid ballasts and get some better looking lights for way cheaper than hid assembly replacement?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've thought about doing the same thing, but I haven't pursued it yet. I'll bet you'd have to do some creative engineering to get the power for low beam and for high beam. I do know the connectors are different, obviously.

repnatl likes this.
  3. Soulbarer

Soulbarer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I switched my 2006 Prius from HID to halogen after spending too much money replacing bulbs and ballasts, only to have the problem recur. It was nice to get some shiny new assemblies too.

Lowering the bumper isn’t difficult with a 10mm socket (an extension or deep socket helps) and half of it pops off once the bolts are removed.

I purchased the halogen assemblies on Amazon, $120 for the set included left and right.

I purchased 9003 halogen bulbs and the socket/harness from O’Reilly but they are also on Amazon, roughly $20 for all (look up Dorman 84790 headlight socket on Amazon)

After removing the dust cap from the old assemblies, I cut the black-wrapped wires to the high beams (goes to a little motor on the HID) and cut the white-wrapped wires going to the ballast for low beams. Then I connected the ground from each to the new harness ground wire, and the red bright supply to the red harness, and the red low beam supply to the blue (some harnesses have different colored wires so you’ll have to expose them to see which prong they go to).

The lights look great and have functioned perfectly with great visibility for a couple months now. I suppose I may get dust or moisture inside the lights eventually as the new assemblies did not come with a dust cover, but for now I have the custom combination of halogen lights plus still have fog lights!

I am not the handiest guy, but this was pretty easy and didn’t take too long, once I thought it all through. Hopefully this helps someone else with an older Prius that is experiencing the HID headache. Good luck!

prius 1.jpg prius 2.jpg prius 3.jpg prius 4.jpg

4. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job, thanks for the info!

NORMAL POPS and Soulbarer like this.
  5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I feel bad saying this, but of all the ways one can connect two wires together in an automobile, wire nuts are the worst choice I can think of. You can solder, use butt splices or crimp caps, or even twist wires together and wrap them with cheap electrical tape, and any of those things will be better than wire nuts.

6. Derpalore1

Derpalore1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm getting ready to do this swap in my wife's 2007 Prius. I have purchased the new halogen headlamps off Amazon for $115, the sockets, and some new bulbs. I will probably use tap splices on the original sockets instead of cutting them off. Not sure about that yet. Also, for those who choose to do this, my lamps, like Soulbarer's, did not include dust covers. I did a little digging and found that the dust cover for the factory halogen lamps is Toyota part # 81139-47060. I ordered a pair and I expect them to be in this week, so I'll update if they fit (and I expect them to). I think it would be wise to get the dust covers as well.

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  7. Derpalore1

Derpalore1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I received the 81139-47060 dust covers today and I can confirm that they fit perfectly on the halogen lamps. If the weather cooperates I may try the install this weekend.

SFO and Soulbarer like this.
  8. Derpalore1

Derpalore1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I finally got around to the install today. I ended up clipping the harnesses and soldering the new bulb connection. Works great. Now I'm just waiting for the sun to go down so I can try aim them.

A.J. Tarnas and Soulbarer like this.
  9. Petruchio

Petruchio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm new here, I'd like to swap from HID to halogen and I've got a question - Did you leave HID ballast from old assembly?

10. Petruchio

Petruchio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I removed headlight and saw both pairs, now I understand what to do, thanks

Soulbarer likes this.
  11. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hear ya but there's probably enough damping altogether for it to last a long time.

Soulbarer likes this.
  12. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're powering the halogen's high beam filament from the HID shutter solenoid circuit? I'd verify rated circuit amperage on that one...

Does the setup light BOTH hi and lo filaments simultaneously in the bulb? That's lotsa heat in an H4 bulb, 55W + 60W.

#12 Gen2_Accel, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
  13. Gstatus64

Gstatus64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Did you do anything to the ballasts or connections or anything? What cables did you cut and rewire? I simply just hate the auto leveling headlight system. That's all I want to get rid of.. Hahaha.

Thanks in advance!

14. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No ballast controller with the Halogen headlight. Yes there are wiring mod's- but there's no cutting the existing wires. So you can go back to the HID if you wish

15. rollercoaster

rollercoaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What did you do to Triangle connector from the connected to the old HID housing headlight by the way.Cause there nothing to go where to the new housing of halogen headlight.This was the extra harness I'm talking.

16. Soulbarer

Soulbarer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I sold the old harnesses along with the old headlamp assemblies, with full disclosure, on ebay for a song and dance. I used old fashioned wire connectors to splice everything and wrapped it all in heavy duty electrical tape. I wasn't worried about amperage as the hid's demand much more than halogen. I am happy to say that two years later, even without the dust covers, my lights continue to look great, have no moisture in them, and function perfectly.

A.J. Tarnas and NORMAL POPS like this.
  17. rollercoaster

rollercoaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How about the other triangle harness mate of it going to the car did you leaved it just there hanging.Caused I will be finalizing the wiring connection to it. Caused I finished also the passenger side putting it. And I might put a dust cover for both. Thanks by the for effort sharing this information hope other people will benefits to it also.

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  18. Gstatus64

Gstatus64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I know this is /kinda/ illegal... I found out where the headlight leveling sensor is on the 2007 Toyota Prius Touring model, and I disconnected the bar that ties the sensor to the rear axle. The headlights now stay where I aim them.

I drive for Uber, but mostly Uber Eats at night. And having that sensor on during the day was adjusting my headlights down really far. And when I drove at night with no one in the car, well, I couldn't really see the signs.

Another thing to note, I replaced the HID's with Xenon HID's. I'm not sure if the headlights are reflecting properly or not, but I can see a little better than before. I also realized that having glasses with Anti Reflective on the lenses really helps with the glare/reading signs.

I'm going to buy the stock HID headlights that go with the prius and see if they're better than the current ones.

I will keep you all updated on the change if you'd like.

Until next time!
    Garron

19. 08PriusWillBeTheDeathOfMe

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So I’m still not a hundred percent sure how to do this if I send you pics of what I’m working with, could you help me figure out the rewiring?

Attached Files:

20. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've started doing a lot of these HID to halogen conversions in our shop and if you want it to work properly it's not quite as simple as described. What the OP didn't realize (and was also mentioned in post #12) is that both the high and low beam filaments will be powered at the same time when the highbeams are on. Obviously it works for a while but it will eventually either burn out prematurely or melt some part of the housing because of the extra heat.

In a Prius originally equipped with halogen headlights there are three wires going to the headlight bulb. One power wire for the low beam, one for the high beam, and a common ground. When you switch between low and high beam the relays in the fuse box will stop sending power to one filament and send it to the other. At no time will both filaments be on at the same time.

To get the halogen bulbs to work properly (in HID equipped Prius) you have to install a switching relay behind the housing that directs the constant power (for the bulb) to one filament or the other. The original wires that went to the high beam deflector motor are then use to power the relay and switch it depending on the drivers input.

upload_2020-2-14_8-33-54.png

The triangle connector that originally went to the headlight leveling motor can be tucked out of the way with a zip tie or electrical tape.

You can buy waterproof automotive grade switching relays off of Amazon.
    . You need one for each side.

New connectors for the halogen bulbs.

Halogen bulbs.

And a set of new halogen headlight assemblies.

I definitely recommend soldering all connections and using heat shrink to protect from the elements. All in this will probably take 3-4 hours and will cost about $175 but you will end up with new lenses that look great and halogen bulbs that can easily be replaced if needed. Next time we do one of these I will post some pictures.

Matt

A.J. Tarnas, SFO, Hazewvu and 4 others like this.