1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to convert from hid to halogen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by repnatl, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I said I've been through this since HID kits came out about 9 years ago went to LED as soon as possible went fanless almost as fast I have fan sets here just laying in a box that all whistle and make a racket and well that's just not cool And then when you get to fitting them to motorcycles then you really see what's going on because that's a whole different ballgame in the bulbs have to get more compact and do better

SM-A715F ?

2. James Folger

James Folger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this eliminate the red triangle and yellow headlight symbol on the MFD due to adaptive headlight failure?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wait a minute now I did not have any of these issues on my early '06 with hid fog lights I don't think it had GPS but that's a good stereo and I had failing ballast I think and I ripped out those complete headlights with their ballasts attached to the bottom of the housings completely out of the car put in the housing similar to what's above in this post that Texas hybrid posted from Amazon no relays. the wiring I can't post pictures of. All the way back into the car I got to the three wires I guess it's before the ballast or something I don't know I can't post the pictures here. I'm using beam tech s1 series the brightest LEDs they make in their H4 sets and I had only one filament on and low beam and the other filament on and high beam with no relays nothing I have this set up on for a couple of months and then something else failed nothing to do with the light so I'm confused about the needing the relay or is this for generation 3 or something

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hid main lights and halogen fog lights from factory. A Tourer.

Bumblebeetuna and NORMAL POPS like this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I changed out the housings to the H4 beam tech s1s never had a triangle never had a code didn't have to worry about any automatic leveling or nothing just turn the lights on flick the high beams when needed and drive I had no idea I was supposed to get a red triangle of death and have to rewire from some different kind of wiring scheme

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And on high beam the low beams remained on and when you flip the high beam forward and put the blue light on the dash you brought on the extra filament or Cobb element in the LEDs that is your high beams your lows stay on so when you pull the lever back from high beam you're just turning the high cobs off and the lows have been there all the time never saw a triangle or any issues in that '05 till the inverter pump and then the battery failed HD battery before that no matter what we did we never saw a triangle headlights none of it

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So The Gen 3 dual semi-fake projector thingies that I see on I don't know what they are 2015 cars they are not normal bulbs in those housings? Somebody was talking about they need a ballast and special bulbs and lots of stuff it seems like I was hoping they'd be like Gen 3 with an extra projector for the hi. But I guess in all actuality when I put my high beams on I'm not looking for sharp cut offs and being nice I'm looking to blind a mofo.

8. Bumblebeetuna

Bumblebeetuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Said you just did it, but now how much you like it???

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My '09 is the same way so my '04 and a half and my 09 both had halogen housings with LED bulbs the s1 beam tech to be precise that's the top of the line highest wattage Cobb elements that I know of. I like them very much and on high beam they will blind the mofo for sure. So I like them very much I would also if I ever have time and absolutely nothing to do would be cool to fit a real electronic projector into a Gen 2 housing which is already been done so that's why I'm in no hurry it's pretty much a plug and play operation with the right short projector and has older I get the less night driving I do and if I do I try to do it on my motorcycle it's more fun.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It cleans up the pretty crappy halogen Gen 2 regular old light symptom.

11. Bumblebeetuna

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know if this would be less splices and is compatible?

Attached Files:

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have most of this on picture.. with LED no need ceramic receptacle no lotta heat. 1 relay can supply 2 bulbs. You not gonna splice.. just add connectors. I haven't had any problems just adding the plug to 04 His car . Use halogen housing . Done.. till ya wreck it or such..

13. Bumblebeetuna

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m lost, must be replying to wrong person on top of being confused….lol. I have hid and found two halogen assemblies at parts yard. I guess trying to see if that link with the relay and socket all together is the correct part for the conversion.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it's a little overkill but you can make it work You're still going to be splicing some wires I don't see how you're going to get around that but anyway.

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the easiest solution if your HID sockets and ballasts are functioning
    Plug and play replacement from HID to LED $90 a pair.
    https://allalighting.com/products/d4s-d4r-led-headlights-bulb-canbus-replace-hid-headlamp

Bumblebeetuna likes this.
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The ala stuff . Looks like their fan bulbs you will not be happy with fans in your LEDs they make a racket people look at you like you're retarded etc so use your choices wisely buying bulbs you don't want that or I don't want fans I do not know what you want Good luck No fans here

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you heard them or are you just going by what others tell you?

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've been using aftermarket HID since they came out about what 10 11 years ago maybe 12 the retrofit kits and then I moved to the LEDs by mistake when they first came out about 8 years ago or so and they had fans mounted to the aluminum housing that the whole H4 headlight is made out of and they wine and make a racket then I moved to the likes of the beam tech s1 series which are some of the brightest LEDs on the planet and they are fan less and make no noise and I know this because I own them. And I also have some with the fan that are a few months old they were sent to be my mistake. I use them on another vehicle just to see if any improvements had happened in these miniature fans it's been a million RPMs that keep my headlight cool well not so much when you're sitting at a stoplight you have this worrying noise and it's not sand and it's not a bug that's got in the fan or any of that they just make this high pitch wine it's not coming across my radio. It's coming from each corner where the headlights are and if you put your hand on the headlight you can feel this high pitched wine coming right to the plastic headlamp cover so this is what I have experienced with several different brands I personally have not used the Allah brand which is being discussed here I do have the equivalent of their red covered ceramic H4 receptacles but mine are made by beam tech in their blue.

19. Bumblebeetuna

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you help? Bought all you recommended, and even my mechanic buddy couldn’t understand the 5 pin relay in This setup…

Attached Files:

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I said once I believe my conversion from my '05 HID ballasted front lamps I showed you the connections that I made to a set of LED H4 lamps plugged into halogen reflectors or plastic headlights is a straightforward connection and everything worked for 30,000 miles without issue. Until the car died which had nothing to do with the headlights The headlights are in the car's trunk waiting to go on another car when needed I did not put any relays or anything like that. Took out the HID light assemblies set them on the ground strip the three wires on each side Hook them up like the picture and that was the end of that very boring. Then 4 weeks later a month later this thread came up with we've been having trouble and we've added all these relays and done whatever but I couldn't make the trouble happen in my car so I'm not adding extra relays and whatnot I don't think. Have you tried wiring them up like most people's pictures they will come on I mean I just can't even imagine or they will come on and all of my cars so far I guess your cars may be different. High and low beam working properly not high beam on low and low on high and all that nonsense everything was correct. I'm not sure what's killing your system but I'm sure you will find it very quickly