1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to - Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bradkb, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Bradkb

Bradkb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having been asked by members on the forum how to do this, I thought I would knock up a quick walk through, so here goes.

Honestly it is one of the easiest mods to fit, just need 4 main parts and 2 M4 screws. They are -

1. Cruise Control Lever - Part number 8463234010(I got this off ebay)
    2. Lever cable - Part number 8463348020 (again this came with the level off ebay - toyota its separate from a dealer)
    3. Blank cap for stearing wheel that has a cutout for the lever - Part number 4518647010C0
    4. New brake light switch - Part number 8434020060

I started with fitting the lever, to do this you need to disconnect the small battery in the boot, as you look in the boot, to the right (you need to take out the black storage compartment as though you are getting out the spare wheel), there is the battery below a panel. I found it easier to disconnect the earth lead from the body of the car rather than from the battery.

Once the battery is disconnected, you can safely start. You now need to take off the airbag from the steering wheel, very easy, but please do NOT attempt it if the battery has not been disconnected as you could set it off.

When you are looking at the steering wheel, either side at the back of the wheel there are 2 blanking plates, one either side, they simply pull off. Once they are off, you will see two torque bits (you need special bits to undo these, you can get the bits from maplins). You simply unscrew, the bits dont come out, they are in holders, but they simply unscrew. You know they are out enough when you can pull the airbag forward.

Once thats done, and you dont need to disconnect any wiring from the airbag, you can just prop it against the wheel. You will see 2 mounting holes that match the holes on the cruise control lever. They are on the right hand side of the steering wheel as you look at it. Simply mount the lever on these posts and attach with 2 m4 short screws. Once done, plug in the cable to the lever, and in to the free socket on the centre top of the steering wheel.

Then you can put the airbag back making sure all connections are intact. Screw it back together, then put the normal blanking plate back on the left side, and the new one on the right side.

You can now reconnect the battery.

Now for the hard bit... the brake light switch... this bit is fun.

You need to take a good chunk of dash apart to get to it, and its a little awkward.

First start with the air vent nearest the drivers window, it pulls off, not up or down, but straight towards you, its quite tough, but it just pulls off. Once that is done, you need to take off the bottom panel, the one that is above the pedals. There are two screws holding this, one below the steering wheel, and one below where the vent was that you removed.

When that's off, you can then see the top of the brake pedal, and you should be able to see the back of the switch, you will need a 14mm spanner(if memory serves me well) to get this out. Unplug the wiring from it first, then with the 14mm spanner undo the nut facing you slightly, just enough to slack, then you can unscrew the switch by hand just by turning it.

You can now fit the new one, screw it in to roughly the same distance as the old one and plug the wiring in to test. You will need to switch on the ignition, I did this with the dash in pieces, as long as all the wiring is connected you wont have any problem. Just dab the brake pedal gently and make sure your brake lights are working properly. If they are not coming on quick enough you need to unscrew the switch a little and test again. Keep going until you get it right. Once done, tighten the nut.

Now the fun, press the cruise control button on the stalk, its the middle button, and you should notice on the dash display a nice "CRUISE".

Put the dash back together and go out for a drive and test it.

I did this in my 2005 UK Prius, other model may be slightly different.

koolingit likes this.
  2. Drafty01

Drafty01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know if this would work on a Japanese model Prius? I have an '06 (Actually really late Dec '05, but '06 spec).