1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to customize Reverse Warning Beeper on Prime Advanced?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by dstrevel, Jan 24, 2017.

1. dstrevel

dstrevel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been enjoying my new Prius Prime for several days now. It has so many great features compared to my 2006 Gen-2 model. But one irritation is the "reverse beeper". I see the owner's manual, page 737, says we must go to the dealer who can reset the number of beeps from "intermittent forever" to "single". I would like to reset mine myself if I could. Anyone know how?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have to buy a set of OBD-II hardware and software to program it.

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm really glad to hear that that obnoxious beep can be zapped! I didn't realize that the 2006 didn't have it. My 2009 (still Gen-2) does.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the Gen 2, (like your 2009) the owner can change it without extra hardware. Gen 3 and 4, you need a OBD Programmer. The dealer has one.

As always, I advise prospective owners to make a list of their desired customization, and present it to your salesman as a condition of sale. The salesman will agree to anything to make the sale.

5. Tim R

Tim R Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is there a list of customizations that can be set by the shop?

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah...back of the owners manual.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the manual http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47A88U/pdf/OM47A88U.pdf
    Customization starts on page 732, those with an O in the third column can be done by the dealer before you buy.

(Some examples: I want to unlock all doors with one step. I can see single ladies wanting the drivers door to unlock first, then the rest of the doors with a second press.
    I want the headlights to go out when I open the driver's door in my garage, if I parked on the street I might want 90 seconds to get to my door in light of the headlights.
    The doors can unlock when you put it in Park, when you open the drivers door, or never unlock automatically. Only you can determine which is safer.)
    The choices extend to page 743, so you have lots!

Toyota4Life and TonyPSchaefer like this.
  8. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Just FYI ... some of the settings can be customized by yourself, no need to do it at the shop ...

I just happened to record a video this morning for customizing the Door Lock and Light Settings:

9. James Wells

James Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Nice job, thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    The service manager told me he didn't know if it was possible to modify the continuous beep. (Really?)
    Then when he found out it was possible, he wanted to charge me $80 when I brought my car in for a recall repair.
    Really? PITA to bring it in for something not my fault and then not to do a courtesy adjustment?
    So I spent the $140 to buy a scan gauge II and changed the beep myself from continuous to only one beep. I ended up using this on 6 Priuses total.

EspressoFueled likes this.
  11. EspressoFueled

EspressoFueled Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Quick reply for any future forum searchers interested in another option to alter the backup beep themselves. I posted a free software fix (still need OBDII adapter) here: Suggested OBDII Tool to Customize Options?

Toyota4Life likes this.
  12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Optimus Prime, it would be great if all of your vids showing different aspects of the Prime could all be on one thread so it would be easier to reference in the future. Is that possible?

13. ChachabahPrime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

14. ChachabahPrime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks. Is there a video for shutting off the reverse beep?

15. W204white2010

W204white2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there anyone in So Cal that's willing to help me out for a fee of course.

Stealerships keeps denying me and pretend they can't do it due to "safety concerns". I find the continuous beep counter-intuitive, as my one year old goes berserk adding even more distraction while trying to reverse.

16. burnout8488

burnout8488 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This product works with Carista only on Android devices:

Buy this:

Download Carista on an Android device, start a free trial for a week. Do what you need to do, then cancel the subscription.

If you need to use Carista on an iOS device, you need a Wi-Fi OBD2 adapter like this:

I have only used the BT adapter above, can't attest to the Wi-Fi one. No reason it shouldn't work though.

17. MagnetoBlue

MagnetoBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I bought my Prime couple days ago and I still haven’t submitted the customer satisfactory survey. The salesman emphasized the importance of it. So I blackmailed him in a politically correct way to have it changed without any charges.

benagi likes this.
  18. Philthy166

Philthy166 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just got back from my dealership and they gave me the BS line of a “safety concern” as well. How is this a safety concern? Are all Toyota’s now beeping for the entire time they’re in reverse? I get having one beep to confirm I’m in reverse but it’s more of a distraction (frustration) than anything else!

19. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I went with the Carista route. $19.99 shipped prime for the dongle then $39.99 for a year subscription but a 1 month free trial to begin with (just remember to cancel membership before trial is over) or $9.99 for a week pass.

I shut off reverse beep and setup windows to roll down on click and hold of unlock on the key fob. Will be playing around some more later this week.

iPad ?

benagi likes this.
  20. RobertZ

RobertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had the reverse beep shut off by local dealer for FREE (I didn't buy car there) while I was getting 5K service.
    If you are getting a run around or charges find another dealer or call Toyota.
    BTW: What's the point of reverse beep when it's only car occupants who can hear it :)