1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to defeat ANNOYING auto-lock function?!

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by RomaniGypsy, Oct 16, 2017.

1. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The single most annoying feature on my 2014 Prius v Two is the auto-lock feature, where if I don't open one of the doors within a certain amount of time after unlocking the car using the key fob, it will automatically re-lock itself. Many a time have I found myself playing "Beat The Clock" with this car and I'm sick of it. How can I defeat this feature?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but i think you are stuck with it. i will defer to anyone who has a better answer. there maybe a possibility that it is a menu item, or tech stream option.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm curious as to why you think the auto locking feature is annoying. We've had this feature on a number of Toyota and Lexus vehicles and it's never been a problem for us.

5. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Because sometimes I have to unlock the car from inside the house, then put the keys in my pocket and gather a whole bunch of stuff in both arms. At times, I don't get it all out in time, and then I have to put some of it down, fish my keys out again, unlock the car, etc.

I bought a 2004 4Runner in December and it does the same thing. I hate this function. I will lock the car when I want to lock the car. If I hit the button to unlock the car, I don't want the freaking machine saying "ha ha, NOT" after a short amount of time. I'm the master here.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Different strokes. My wife loves to lock her car. I never do unless she is with me or I have something attractive to thieves in the car which is, by design, seldom. I figure they want something, make it easy to not destroy stuff while getting it. I do have the lock while moving feature implemented but I find it a slight pain because I frequently move the car out of the garage while waiting for her and then she comes out and can't get in until I unlock it.

I carry the keys always in the same pocket and can lock or unlock once I'm out of the car just by the feel of the buttons on the fob. Hand in pocket, press button, remove hand.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have we told you that you can change this behavior?

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47840U/pdf/OM47840U.pdf

Page 526 of the PDF lists:
    (P.57, 72)
    Time elapsed before automatic door lock function is activated if door is not opened after being unlocked
    Default 60 seconds
    Choices: OFF, 30 seconds , 120 seconds -OO

Page 527 of the PDF lists options:

Door lock (P. 74, 479)
    Unlocking using a key
    Driver’s door unlocked in 1-step, all doors unlocked in 2-step vs All doors unlocked in 1-step –OO

Speed-detecting automatic door lock function OFF vs ON OOO

Shifting the shift position to any position other than P locks all doors ON vs OFF OOO

Shifting the shift position to P unlocks all doors ON vs OFF OOO

Opening driver’s door unlocks all doors OFF vs ON –OO

Most of these are changeable by all owners, All are changeable if you have Navigation. Certainly, the Deal can change them if it gets confusing for you.

(there are a LOT of customization features, If you need to go to dealer, make all your choices the first time)

8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or u can get Carista and change all the features u want to on ur phone...

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Friends of mine were driving an unfamiliar, rented car across a very sparsely traveled section of, if I remember right, Wyoming, one crisp cold night, and found the night sky so beautiful they pulled off the road for a bit, got out, and gazed upward, shivering.

From behind them, a quiet automatic ksrchlnk.

After that, it was just a matter of avoiding hypothermia until another driver happened by, which eventually, finally, did happen.

-Chap

10. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That rental car wasn't a Prius or anything else made by Toyota. Vehicles made by Toyota automatically lock only when the vehicle is unlocked with the remote and no doors are opened.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  11. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    exactly lol, if u leave ur key in a keyless toyota it just makes beeping noises lol