1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to destroy America.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So...if I rob a bank and use the money to start a successful business.....I should be allowed to keep the money and my business, not go to jail and maybe get a seat on the City Council and join the Chamber of Commerce? Cool.

There will always be those that are willing to work more for less. Americans love getting something for nothing. They want to get more and pay less. That's why Walmart doesn't sell "made in USA" anymore. Try to live on what Walmart pays for piecework in China. Or maybe there is a class of U.S. citizens that aren't entitled to own homes and should just know their place and be grateful they have any job at all. ("Complain and we'll outsource your job to India!")

2. soboy

soboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought provoking, and sadly, true.

3. bluejay

bluejay New Member

JackDodge, I am not in disagreement with you and I understand you realize people are being pit against each other--and always have historically. I don't believe in any sense that diversity is being put ahead of the country's cohesiveness it's just the usual conservative spin on the truth.

True diversity and melting pot ideology would severely undermine the power and class structure in this country. Just look at the last 40 years, each decade we interchange the political scapegoats--black, women, poor, immigrant. . .take your pick. The poor and immigrant are gettting trounced since Bush was elected.

With all this internal conflict, war was waged, the patriot act passed, environmental retraints removed, 9/11 . . .and so much more. People are more united than the media portrays. Lots of grassroots activities.

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One of the more interesting things that I read this week came from Business Week. They report that "Union leaders rail against Wal-Mart stores but new research suggests that workers' anger doesn't blind them to a bargain. "...found that 60% of union members had visited a Wal-Mart in the past month, vs. 57% of all shoppers. "Wal-Mart has more unionized shoppers than any other retailer." Evidently, low prices trump other considerations.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so you managed to get two degrees and didn't learn another language? Spanish is relatively easy to master and thousands of people do. Those who speak it now are very fond of the fact that they know it. So if that's really the only barrier you have to get the jobs you are looking for, it's pretty easy to overcome.
    I think you are overreacting and looking for excusses and placing a blame on the wrong issues. The universe does not revolve around you alone.

6. bluejay

bluejay New Member

get off your high horse. you're born in america so freakin' what? does that make you better than anyone else? with your attitude, i'd say it makes you an arrogant racist.
    [snapback]208089[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

I'm thinking the same thing.

Honestly Walker1, if your giving off this vibe during a job interview maybe that's the problem. With 2 degrees, you're either in the wrong profession or using school to avoid the real world.

You've believed in the promise of education but what they forgot to tell iyou is there are no guarentees. Most people get their jobs through networking and internships.

If you enjoy what you are doing, is there some way you can do it independently, why wait for someone else to employ you. If your good at what you do, go out and do it. Maybe you should move to another area and learning spanish would definetly be helpful. Have you ever worked with a job coach? Your situation is very remedial--sounds like you need to due some more reseach and get the chip off your shoulder. Good Luck

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's not just the poor and the immmigrants who are getting trounced. But, aside from that, it seems to me that one thing that a lot of Americans are united on is their love of a good war. Particularly one that is on the other side of the world. The U.S. isn't unlike the Holy Roman Empire in some ways but that empire lasted 2,000 years. The U.S. has a long way to go before it gets to that point.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I concur that militarism is way over rampant within American psyche and the concept of domineering pervades to the point of lack of rational. Why do we think that we have to be winning in every conceivable issue surrounding mankind? We really need to take a large step back as a society, leave the world alone for a while and truly address the issues at home. Otherwise, we will be doomed as the great ideals that we hold for the world way exceed our means.

9. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

I have two degrees and didn't manage to learn a second language. I work with a number of people who have two degrees and only speak one language. I don't see how they are related.

I would think that anybody that spoke a second language are very fond of the fact that they do.

I have found that speaking a second language is difficulot unless you are in a situation where you can speak it now and then. I m not in that situation. I have heard others say the same.

But back to my point, two degrees and I never learned a second language....call me stupid.

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

this has nothing to do with you. Didn't you read that I replied to another poster and nobody suggests that knowing only one language indicates stupidity. Only you did.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well there you go, we have all of these immigrants all over this country and you need a situation where you can immerse yourself in a second language to learn it. They could stay at your house, cut the lawn then teach you to speak Spanish. You could pay them with room and board. You're a genius, Hallowday. Two degrees make you smarter than you care to admit. What a great opportunity. :)

12. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

"so you managed to get two degrees and didn't learn another language?"

Sorry, sure sounds to me like you were implying anybody that has two degrees should speak two languages. Calm down, I apologize if I read you wrong.

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I was talking about Walker1's situation, that's why I quoted him. You on the other hand took it out of the context and applied it to your own circumstance.

14. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

Count to 10, I apologized. However, it struck me wrong when I read it. You could have worded it better if it was directed specifically to Walker.

15. bluejay

bluejay New Member

Hey JackDodge I think it's time to unleash the big dogs--got that tachyon disc thread available. :eek:

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was actually serious in my reply to Hallowday. It's difficult, at times, to know the tone of a post with only 2D text to go by but it wasn't meant to be insulting or smarta**ed :)

17. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

And just who do you think is cutting the budget for education?? Oh, that's right...it's those darn "liberals"... think again Walker1, your conservative pals in power are sinking this boat...IMHO

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

there is nothing wrong with this wording as it was only directed at him and nobody else. and you are continuing to insinuate that I am being hyper but it was you who overreacted in the first place, for which you apologized.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

WHAT???!!!

That's waaaay off base, even for you. We "love" a good war? Please remember, WE didn't send planes into buildings, WE didn't invade Kuwait.

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Do you have any empirical data to back this up?

So achievement is all of sudden a "bad" thing? We should step back, let country X develop idea Y, then we can all share and live happily ever after? That isn't reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.