1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to detach interior panels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by George W, Feb 5, 2019.

1. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The hatchback area rattles when I'm driving over bumpy or gravel roads. I see that the Touring spoiler can be wiggled back and forth . I'm guessing that there are bolts I could tighten underneath the hatch interior panel but I'm not sure how to remove that panel. Has anyone taken these panels off without destroying the clips that hold them? Thank you.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Grab and pull.

Occasionally some of the plastic clips will stay in the hatch and pull out of the panel, instead of vice versa. I then pop any stragglers out of the hatch one by one, and slip them back into their notches in the trim panel, ready to push back into place.

For popping those straggling clips out, I find one of the typical hardware-store wire cutter/stripper/crimper pliers (that lives in my tool bag anyway) is thin and flat enough to do nicely. Obviously I don't squeeze the handles and cut the clip off, only nestle the jaws gently around it, then use the plier to pry upward. The panel's already off at that point, so slip something protective between the pliers and the painted metal.

For pulling on trim panels themselves, I pretty much never use anything but bare fingers if I can avoid it. Sometimes it helps to get a hand behind the panel, near where a clip is, and push outward from there.

Skibob and George W like this.
  3. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the other thing that can cause a rattling noise, is the little rubber feet that the hatchback sits on when you close it there are matching once on the lid and on the body of the car and they pressed together. If they are worn or shrunken they can cause rattling. Easy to see if that's it just sticks some cloth or something between the two give it a bit of a cushion and see if the noise stops

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for your experience. I did see the rubber foot, and will test it with a bit of cloth. I purchased a kit from Harbor Freight, consists of an assortment of flat 'pryers' for removing the plastic pins that are used.

The one thing I did not want to do was to pull the trim piece hard enough to remove it-only to find I'd ripped out any possibility of putting it back. Thanks again.

kens97uber171 likes this.
  5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I placed a couple of pieces of paper in between the rubber foots and it did reduce the rattle somewhat. What I wonder is if a rubber reconditioner, like 'Regrip', might help in this same regard?