1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to detect dying traction battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PhilPaw, Aug 13, 2021.

1. PhilPaw

PhilPaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 11 year old, 225,000km gen 3 shows:

Status of charge max 63.5%
    Status of charge min 43.5%

Via Techstream.

So it's using 20% of batt capacity. Does this band get smaller as the battery ages?

Is this what Dr Prius app uses to calculate capacity?

2. PhilPaw

PhilPaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also the max battery charge/discharge values I would assume are periodically decreased as the battery ages?

Mine are:

Charge control value -25.0kw
    Discharge control value 20.5kw

What values are typical of a new battery?

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DrPrius has you force charge the battery to "full" (near 80% SOC) then discharge it at around 6 amps until near 45%. The app monitors the voltage, amps/ current, and how long it takes to discharge (aka, the amount of power that the pack can discharge)- then it does some math to come up with an approximate capacity.

AFAIK, the only thing that "changes" as a battery normally ages is that the battery SOC increases and decreases more quickly as capacity decreases. (delta SOC and voltage difference can go up but those are indicators of pack deterioration)
    I am not aware of any "settings" that are different from a new pack vs a worn out pack.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 mr_guy_mann, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Tbkilb01 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps the rapid change in charging/discharging is due to the reduction at the top and bottom.

have your mpg's suffered?

5. PhilPaw

PhilPaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was under the impression that Techstream would be able to show battery health.

Sounds like Dr Prius is a lot better at this task? Or is there some sort of test that I can run in Techstream to check the battery?

MPG is steady at 47 mpg. I don't have any symptoms, but at 11 years, the age of the battery is getting up there. So I am interested in some quantitative data.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is 12 years, and it was about 2-3 months back that I noticed it seemed to discharge quicker,
    and charge from 2 lined up to 3 very slowly. Then it would just to 4 lines much quicker.
    If it was at 3 lines overnight, half the time it wouldn't let me go into EV mode in the morning,
    saying the hybrid battery is low.

I purchased the Prolong system and ran it through the 4 charges and 3 discharge cycles.
    Now it's back to what it was doing when I go it. It certainly has made an improvement for me.
    Now both the charge/discharge cycles are gradual. And it was $1000 less than new cells.

I believe I did mine before the battery got is the weakened state. I wanted to do it last year, but
    I didn't have the money at the time. I have not had any lights or warning about the battery getting weak.

You might want to think about doing the reconditioning before you get any warnings, or before it gets worse.
    It certainly won't get better on it's own. :)

You will just need about 3 days for the complete reconditioning.

Tbkilb01 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus