1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to deter theft of your mail -- video evidence

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Dec 15, 2016.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. We definitely a a mail theft problem in my area. There's currently a white '12 to '14 Hyundai Sonata w/a black roof, no front nor rear plate going around stealing mail and packages. The guy's been caught on numerous cameras. One person on our neighborhood watch radio net spotted him the other day. Unfortunately, the guy took off blowing thru stop signs and allegedly going over 100 mph on a 50 mph expressway.

We have reports quite a bit on Nextdoor of this happening including mail dumps (mail found dumped in random places (parking lots and the side of the road) from various addresses in the area)). It's the mail remaining that the thieves didn't want. Also, every now and then we get reports that all the mailboxes in an area were opened by someone overnight.

Yep on identify theft.

We recently had a case where the Milpitas PD called a resident in my area saying they had his checkbooks. They were amongst stolen mail found in a stolen car by the police. We also had some cases mentioned on ND of stolen checks. Some people do "check washing" where they use solvents to wash off the writing on checks and write in a new payee and amount.

At my local post office, a few years ago, one of the two big blue drop boxes was completely stolen.

RCO likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Down here they're called "porch pirates." Hulk Hogan became a victim just before Christmas. Big news on the local radio. Value of the package taken from his porch? $16. FWIW, I have no problem with bringing back the old fashioned stocks in the public square for this kind of stuff.

RCO likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    san hose'? and that was one of my target real estate area's.:unsure: