1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to determine if the water pump needs replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NoviceMechanic, May 14, 2020.

1. NoviceMechanic

NoviceMechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I have a 2010 PRIUS T SPIRIT VVT-I CVT 3rd Generation. A few months ago I had a problem with cabin heating followed by indication of engine warming. When I got the car serviced at an authorized Toyota service centre they told me that there was a coolant leakage and they fixed it by loose pipe fitting. However, they also told me that the water pump needs replacement to resolve the engine heating issue.
    I didn't get the water pump replaced though. The coolant leakage has now stopped, however, I still get the engine heating symbol sporadically when I take a car for long drive.

How can I determine if the water pump indeed needs changing as it is quite expensive to replace it?

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles are on your car? Can you hear your pump running (from outside your car) when you turn on your heater-like a buzzing sound?

If you can DIY, the job is easy, and the pump is around $235 from a dealer. The pump simply bolts onto the side of the engine. At ten years, if you plan to keep the car, a new pump is cheap insurance. Many owners have had pump failures.

3. Peter123

Peter123 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original equipment manufacturer is Aisin. Their part number is WPT190. There is a separate water pump for the power inverter, Aisin WQT001, and it is cheaper. You should be able to find something for £150 to £200. I do not know what a dealer charges for it in the UK.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second this. I think runtime is what brings them to failure. What's the concensus, somewhere between 125~150K miles it should be replaced?

Maybe a lot more in UK, just judging from past postings here. The Aisin pump below might be best bet for buyers outside the States:

Genuine Toyota 161A0-39015 (161A039015) PUMP ASSY, ENGINE WATER - Amayama

(View the photos with the Aisin pump, the box lists compatible vehicles/engines.)

Or even in the States? Worth noting:

1. Throw in a few extras (say wiper blades, air filters) and the shipping cost often doesn't budge, or just a small amount extra.
    2. Try to keep purchase from one country (either UAE or Japan) will ensure only one shipping charge.
    3. In my experience with small purchases, around $100 CDN max, there was no sales tax or duty.

BruceInOKC and pjksr02 like this.
  5. NoviceMechanic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I think I will take your advice and replace the pump anyways. Thank you.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @NoviceMechanic, just to clarify, since part of your response got encapsulated in the quote: your car has 91K miles, and you hear a whizzing sound when turning the car on.

7. NoviceMechanic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Yes, that is right.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there a way to read the trouble codes:whistle:?

Since the engine water pump is magnetically driven, troubleshooting it is tough:cool:.

But I've done the replacement job 3 times and each time found the impeller to be restricted and in one case, rubbing against the internal housing:eek:.

@The Critic had his water pump fail early on in his Gen3's life (around 130k IIRC), so it happens ;).

Hope that helps(y).

BruceInOKC likes this.
  10. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my 2010’s water pump at 156,888 miles as cheap insurance.

pjksr02 and Raytheeagle like this.