1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to disable minor leak in evaporative system code?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim Caldwell, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its a gen 2 2009 Prius. I bought the car at about 50K miles. It has 100K miles on it now. I commute in it, and put around 18K miles a year on it. When I got the car I did not know about this very elaborate fuel vapor containment system. So the first times I fueled it up, I fueled it until it was right to the top of the filler neck instead of stopping when the fuel pump kicks off. This caused it to set a code for a minor fuel evaporative system minor leak.. I was hoping that whatever part of the system I forced fuel into would eventually dry out and the pesky code would stop setting. But after around 50K miles, it still is setting that code about 100 miles after the DTCs are cleared. Its not a biggie, except that I sure can't reset codes every 100 miles, and the presence of the check engine light it causes could potentially mask something important. I have an idea that the Toyota dealership charges hundreds and hundreds of dollars any time a mechanic touches a Prius---and there is only one dealership I can take it to within 150 miles.....so I need to come up with some solution myself. Is there no way I can fix this myself? If not, some way I can disable some sensor that sets the fault code?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You've likely damaged the egr canister, it's not designed to purge liquid. As a result the charcoal in the can may granulate and get dispensed to other parts of the closed system causing further malfunctions.

Best have it check out, egr canister may need to be replace, hopefully nothing else needs to be tended to.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think it's Exhaust Gas Recirculation cannister, more likely something like evaporative cannister?

Does it drive ok, regardless of the codes? If so, I would just postpone till it's more opportune to bring it in to them.

4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which code exactly, Jim? Vacuum switching valves are really quite easy to swap out once you dig in, or even the entire charcoal canister. Don't pay anyone to do it, just be sure and use factory parts when you do it yourself.

Here's an excellent Prius fuel and evap PDF complete with diagnostic for P0440-446 and P1455.

Attached Files:

valde3 and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok...many thanks, I will buy my own charcoal canister and replace myself. Hopefully the parts are available from 3rd party and I won't have to pay ridiculous price from toyota dealer? The actual code being set is P1455, small evaporative system leak. Wow, this looks like a major job to access the fuel tank bladder where the canister is mounted! I studied the PDF referenced, and it is interesting that there is a fuel cutoff valve designed specifically to prevent overfilling! Yet it allowed me to overfill. And also there is a valve to keep liquid fuel out of the evaporative system....guess that didn't work. This is an unbelievably complex system....no doubt EPA mandated; EPA overkill, over-regulation at its finest, cost everyone big bucks, both in higher costs for initial purchase and for repairs down the road!

#5 Jim Caldwell, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I read when I had the same code, it can be caused by an ill-sealing gas tank cap.

Now, probably is NOT what is causing your issue, but before you jump into the fire and start on major work, I would be inclined to inspect, possibly clean the gasket on the cap and do some rubber treatment...And, of course, always make sure the cap is replaced tightly.

Maybe even just replace the cap.

Know that Toyota changed the cap design part-way through the model year for the 2009 models, so you would want to make sure you get the correct cap, if you elect to give it a try.

Around $8 for a Stant aftermarket or around $20 for a genuine Toyota cap. Especially if your location tends to be an area that is tough on rubber gaskets might be worth trying a new cap.

#6 cyberpriusII, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, I already replaced the cap with aftermarket part. Don't think it was genuine Toyoto...it was so long ago, its probably the Stant cap. A leak at the cap sets the same code? If the cap design changed during the 2009 year, then its very possible my aftermarket cap is not really the correct one...but I don't have a clue to determine that I have got the correct one. I lost track of or discarded the original. But I did compare the aftermarket one with the original and saw no difference that might prevent it from sealing.

#7 Jim Caldwell, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jim, can you verify p1455 as your code? It doesn't really line up with the EVAP leak codes, imo. It's more of a raw fuel contamination issue. If you actually have one of the EVAP leak codes, then there is a chance that the cutoff valve actually did do it's job and your issue isn't necessarily due to overfilling the tank. If P1455 actually is the code, I personally would probably look to source a salvage fuel tank/bladder, preferably one with all the EVAP parts included!

9. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    m.wynn likes this.