1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to disable the stability/traction control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cossie1600, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No it can't, actually I should say it could, but no manufactures are stupid enough to do that as you can easily blow the brakes off one of the corner easily. If you sit in deep snow with all season and mash the gas, the traction will only do so much to cut power and apply brakes.

I didn't know you were talking about the 2nd gen cars. You know you are reading a 3rd gen forum right? I don't know about others, but I bought my third gen knowing it is a superior vehicle than the second gen.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad you qualified your statement. Traction control can work in this fashion. How it is actually implemented on cars is another issue. Generally car manufacturers take the easy way out.

There is no reason to allow a foolish driver to blow the brakes. After all, the traction control system also controls power. This, of course, points out that a brake controlled system cannot apply full power while controlling slippage. In that respect the physics *is* different. Why you would want to supply full power when the wheels were spinning is a different question. I suppose you could be using your Prius at a tractor pull and want to impress the fans with flying mud. :D

Certainly. My comment about the Gen II cars is to avoid future confusion. These threads linger for a long time, and new users are often confused by the differences between the various generations.

Tom

3. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is a car I thought of off the top of my mind. The AMG cars by Mercedes. None of their newer cars come with a LSD. In the event of a normal tire spin, the stability/traction control will kick in and limit power/apply brakes. Yet if you insist on meshing the pedal and keep it floor, the system would give up and let you go. Without LSD or any extra added traction, the spinning wheel would just keep going.

In the case of the 3rd gen Prius, I do not recall feeling an intrusive system kicking in during the snow/rain or even when I was racing it. The system worked the way it should (lots of beeps), I never felt I was endangered by it even though I would like to disable it.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By all reports the Gen III system works well.

The Gen II system works well too, but it's main priority is to protect the HSD, not help traction. If you have good tires and know how it works it is generally fine, but lacking either of those you can easily find yourself standing still facing uphill.

VSC on the Gen II is great. I assume likewise with the Gen III.

Tom

5. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: How to disable stabilty/traction control

This is good to know. The 06 is preventative on a regular basis.

6. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have driven the 06 over 40 miles up and over 10K feet on 4wd steep slippery dirt roads in the Manti La Sal range in Utah. VERRY SLOWWWWWW. The System can be overcome in adverse conditions at ultra low creep speeds. Never has been a problem, just irritating at times.

7. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And will the plug in be a superior car or just a great way to get to work if you live in the 13 mile range?

Also, will the plug in need bigger pads to compensate for more weight or will the weight increase not be significant?

Anyone planning on changing their own pads on their gen IIIs? I know it is a bit early...:D

8. endomanbill

endomanbill New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: How to disable stabilty/traction control

How do I install the disabler switch for my 09 Prius traction control?

9. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Gen III 2010 prius did that today in snowy Ohio. Hopefully, snow tires will help!

10. vaa4

vaa4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for this very useful info! I just tried the Certification Mode and it works!
    I almost got stuck in deep snow and my Prius on snow tires barely made it out. Not having Trac/VSC off button is plain dangerous. Those that think turning traction off will not help when stuck in snow are full of it. I've been in situations when turning traction off (my other car) was the only way to get moving. Unlike mud, there's pavement under snow/ice that the tires can plow down to... especially snow tires.

1 person likes this.
  11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps where you live.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  12. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At least going between Reverse and Drive on a Prius is easy and safe (For rocking the car)

:)

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which begs the question, "So What if you can reach asphalt?" The car just jumps out onto snow/ice again, and that is useless. Its better not to break the traction in the first place, or at least not to break the traction often.

14. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I pull the fuse for the ABS and TC, will there be warning lights and /or alarms on? Any adverse effects as long as I don't overrev the front wheels?

15. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in the mountains east of Albuquerque. I have Continental ExtremeWinterContact studless winter tires.
    Other than the one day when the snow was about a foot deep, I have driven in and out of my place nearly every day this winter. This includes up and down three 12-15% grades on gravel roads.

If you have the right tires and the snow is not over 4-5", I do not find any issues with driving the Prius in winter conditions, fresh snow or icey packed snow. - of course that assumes you understand how to drive on winter roads.

16. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have four good snows and I have 30 years of Winter driving experience. The car handles just fine in snow. The problem is iced parking spaces. With other cars it just takes a little wheelspin to get out of a space with ice under the tires. Not with the Prius. That would be too easy.

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was in the same position as you - however, I had to walk up my developement (about 1/2 mile) when my Prius wouldn't climb a hill with very little snow on it. I know it was the Prius (good tires btw) as a Camry (worn out tires btw) was going up and down at will! I was ready to trade that day!

LONG STORY SHORT:
    I found out how to disable traction control. The next snowy day, I disabled TC and not only made the development, but even made by driveway which I didn't think possible.

Is there a danger of breaking driveline parts? Mabye.
    Is it the only way to get my Prius up a steep hill in the snow? Yes.

Good luck!

-Brad

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again, this is a Gen3 thread. Both you and the poster you responded to have Gen2s, which have different traction control.

1 person likes this.
  19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Different, and inferior, I should add.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  20. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It still freaking blows. I have snow tires, yet I was still stuck when the car refused to get up to speed on a hill.