1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to "DIY" Check "Everything" on Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Destiny N., Aug 1, 2018.

1. Destiny N.

Destiny N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I've had my 2005 Prius (~164,000 miles now) since September 2017, and all I have been doing is the routine oil changes (changing filter every time as well), and this fall I am going to get new tires. Also replaced passenger side brake light. Well, I am not a car expert but I am totally willing to learn.
    But anyways, what are some maintenance things (literally everything and anything you can think of) that I can check myself, perhaps even fix/replace if needed so I am not spending big bucks at a shop? (YouTube tutorials would be very much appreciated!)
    And, what are the things that I should take it to a shop to have looked at?

(I called my local Toyota dealer and they quoted $200+ for spark plugs that I guess are a tune-up, but then another $60+ for an oil change, and only then would they begin to just "check" things)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you haven’t already read Sections 7 and 8 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF), pages 271 and following, I’d suggest starting there. There is a list of basic checks on pages 273–275, and some important warnings on pages 280–281. Next, review the Scheduled Maintenance Guide (PDF) from Toyota. Your car has more than the 120,000 miles covered by the Maintenance Log (pages 4–19), but you can still use it to determine the intervals for each item described under Explanation of Maintenance Items (pages 20-22).

Note that some of the items say a “qualified technician” should do the work, but these items are still within reach of the home mechanic with the right knowledge, skills, and equipment. That last point is often the deciding factor: some tasks need specialized tools or machines that few people have at home.

There is also a list of maintenance tasks in the “Maintenance” section of the Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and from other sources. These tasks range from trivial (does the horn work?) to complicated and often unnecessary (inspecting and adjusting the engine valve clearance).

I hope this general information is helpful. You might get some more specific suggestions if you could share more about your capabilities (could you put the car on a lift or ramps, for example?) and the maintenance done by previous owners, if you have any records or can get them from the Toyota Owners website.

4. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speaking in general, and not specifically about a Prius, there's three categories of "working on cars" to consider:
    • Routine maintenance items, such as oil changes, filters, brake pad replacement, tires, etc. that are done according to a schedule or as expected wear items wear out. These are great DIY candidates (tires excepted due to needing equipment mount/balance) as they need to be done multiple times during car ownership, so any hassle learning to do a task only applies to the first time it's done. In most cases, what you learn on one car applies to your next car. For example, spark plugs are generally very simple if you can reach them, and they're the same on virtually all car models excepting oddballs like mid 2000s F150s.
    • Known weak points on your particular car model. You may or may not handle these items yourself, but you can learn about them and know ahead of time what the symptoms are and what can be done to address them. For example, that oddball 2-piece F150 spark plug mentioned above that has a reputation for breaking off in the head during removal, and needing a special tool to remove the broken bits. This is something that I personally will leave to a mechanic, as there's a special tool, some finesse, and a lot of hassle involved, and there's not much long term benefit to me learning how to do it myself.
    • Completely unexpected failures. If these involve the check engine light, a code reader and the internet can be your friend. Just having an idea of what the problem might be can help you decide if you want to do it yourself, go to an independent mechanic, or go straight to a dealership. For example, on my old Chevy pickup the check engine light came on and the torque converter wasn't going into lockup mode. Oh great, do I need a new transmission? No, the code indicated that it thought I was riding the brake all the time, because the switch on the brake pedal had gone bad most likely. I wasn't sure that was the cause, but the part was <$20 including a pair of cheap snap ring pliers from Harbor Freight and maybe an hour of cursing while lying on the floor and trying to figure out how to get at this very inconveniently located switch. Happily that did fix the problem.
    In your specific case, I'd recommend changing the plugs yourself and also learning how to inspect and service the brakes. When brake pads last a long time, road salt can cause them to seize in place and wear unevenly and prematurely. A periodic disassembly and lubing the sliding parts can greatly extend their life.

For things specific to the Gen2 Prius, there's probably tons of threads already here on the forum about that.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does it have the original hybrid battery?

6. Destiny N.

Destiny N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe so. I bought it used, and the lady said she only did regular maintenance. I still have all the old paperwork and records, but I never had time to look through ALL of it (years worth of paperwork since she was the first and only owner)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Attached is an excerpt, the "Maintenance" section from the Second Gen Repair Manual, sums up the basic inspections.

One "low hanging fruit" item, not mentioned so far: check all the lights operation. This is something that should be done every 6 months or so: low/high beams, parking lights (compare side-to-side is helpful), signals front and rear, brakes, reverse and license plate.

Attached Files:

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's unfortunate. The main issue with the G2's now given there age especially yours is a failing hybrid battery the big one in the back. Not the 12 volt battery the big main expensive battery.

Please use the search forums button up top and search

hybrid battery

and see what everyone who owns a G2 is going through these days.