1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to drive in the hills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KV55, Apr 17, 2007.

1. cc9150

cc9150 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zendriver @ Apr 17 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]425014[/snapback]</div>
    yeah, but you can take the "leave everyone alone to do his own thing" too far. Like someone else said, be PRUDENT and acknowledge the world around you. Don't do 20mph on the freeway just because YOU want to. Understand that you're in the world with others--and that means maybe not getting everything you want when you want it, especially in traffic.

Your right to swing your arm stops at my nose.

Prudent behavior--not a blind "I wanna, therefore I will" attitude. That's all.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cc9150 @ Apr 17 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]425028[/snapback]</div>
    I think we all agree with that...you're the one making assumptions that we're doing otherwise...thus your accusations are, in essence, your fist making contact with my nose in a proverbial sense.

3. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Oouch, I've been out for the day and didn't expect so much discussion, especially the critical stuff. For the record I avoid the motorway (freeway) and pick my route to balance the speed that I'd like to do with the road and the traffic. Even on the quiet roads faster cars come up behind me, but they overtake and all is fine. If the road doesn't allow a safe overtake I will increase my speed to keep everyone moving, within safe limits. On the real quiet lanes, and out of hours, there is no traffic which gives me more flexibility.

Different drivers have different observations and the forum is here to get some conversation going and bounce around some ideas. It was the forum that pointed out it was good to use a bit of battery charge before a downhill stretch to make room for regen. I use that regularly on my last hill before my digs and it is a good technique. Going back up the hill the next morning I found the light throttle with a cold engine would drain the battery and then the engine would run on the downslope just to recharge the battery. By going up with enough throttle to charge the battery (a green arrow) the ICE will stop running on the downslope and my mpg improved.

Small hills are a part of my driving and I am more than pleased to hear from others in a similar countryside, and even those in the flatlands but with ideas. So with the general assumption that I am not holding up traffic and not watching the MFD, I am open to ideas about how to drive the hills to best advantage. I am grateful for the advice and ideas received, keep it coming, and will try a few new tricks when and where appropriate. :)

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't mean to start such a firefight. When I said, "Just drive it", it is just what I do. I get right at the edge of 50 mpgs by keeping with the flow, not obsessing about every economy parameter. 50 is good enough for me. I do like to exercise performance cars, too. I drive my Subaru at the autocross, as fast as it will go, but I am not inconveniencing or endangering other drivers, because it is a closed circuit, out of traffic. If you are driving in the real world, JUST DRIVING, is much safer, than obsessing over every mpg gained or lost, and maybe spending too much time getting in other driver's way, or starring at the MFD. I get your point, and I just disagree about the mpg obsession in everyday traffic. BTW I do 90 miles a day in LA traffic, so I guess that makes me kinda cranky. It is much more painless in the Prius though. :)

5. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 18 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]425539[/snapback]</div>
    Hear hear.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tell the car how fast I want to go (by pressing on the accelerator pedal) and let it figure out the rest.

7. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 18 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]425539[/snapback]</div>
    I am OK with that and you have my sympathy about driving in LA which has to be the very opposite of my open country roads with trees and hedges. I did think that your first post was a bit rough and missed the topic regarding rolling hills by a wide margin but I won't stand as a judge. I am up for a topic on "driving within traffic", not sure which sub forum it should go in. Stay safe everyone.

8. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 17 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]425021[/snapback]</div>
    Dipwad, good one. Dipwad reminded me of Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza. Sometimes when he got mad, he would yell out something like this, " Ahh Sheep Dip - Dad gummit Pa, that fence needs mending again."

Anthony Fusco was the Foosball (table soccer champ) during 7th and 8th grades(late 70's). We called him Tony Foosball.

OK OK, enough with the name calling, but let me say this. All of you cheese weasles out there better knock it off or I'm driving in B mode the rest of the way. :angry: :D