1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to figure cost of electrical charging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mikenancy1, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why people are saying 3-3.3kwh.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's this mornings charge session data from ChargePoint (this is 100% typical for my daily charge) Data point- My EV range was exhausted about one mile from the charging station, so this represents a full recharge from 0 EV miles:

Charging Session.jpg

The graph data also shows the bulk of the recharge is completed in the first 70min...

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is cool to see for us non-plug in guys (but wannabe's). Why does the charging...for lack of a better word...slow down closer to the end?

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it also drops to zero amps eight times during the charge cycle and resumes full amperage

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be interesting to see if VOLT charging has the same characteristics

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's to avoid over voltage. Once, you get close to full charge, you're near maximum voltage. The computer slows down "charging" to avoid going over and causing damage to the battery pack. I liken it to pouring yourself a glass of water. Initially, you just pour it in. But near the end, you have to slow down so that it doesn't slosh over the edge. The battery is completely enclosed, so you can imagine what would happen if you continue to "slosh" in electricity.

lensovet likes this.
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is also a safety issue with LiIon batteries. Overcharge them, even at the trickle level, and they outgas explosive gas (hydrogen, I believe). Add the heat from the charging, and,.... you get the picture. That is why consumer LiIon batteries like in laptops and cell phones have circuitry in the battery itself to prevent overcharging.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's the car that is causing the slowdown, not the charge point? And is that charge point 220 or 110?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i turned my car on today to see how much charge it had taken. it had 12.4 miles on the range meter, said it had .8 hours left to charge and was charging at 1 kwh.

10. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it's the charger in the car

lensovet likes this.
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's 240v

lensovet likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't forget that the HV portion of the capacity can also be replenished by the plug. That's why had been rounding up when it came to per-charge estimates.

3.0 kWh is what I've been seeing quite consistently from ChargePoint, even when having dipped into HV for a bit of stealth. That works out well for simple cost math.

13. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As the batteries get to be almost full, its important to reduce the charging current to protect them from damage.
    Think of it as filling a glass.. if you want to get to 100% full, you slow down as you get it nearly full so you have better control.

in a Parallel battery config, as in the PiP (and Volt and Leaf), its also a time when they do some balancing between the cells in each parallel config.

I think the Drops that Prius Kitty is seeing are likely the car "checking" the current SOC to get more accurate read -- its not possible to accurately estimate charge level while charging.

14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, cool to see two people make the same analogy lol.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    or a chargepoint station.

most chargepoint stations have a 110V outlet as well if someone wants to capture a standard L1 EVSE session.

16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try to grab a screen capture tomorrow. It won't be for a full charge, but it should be a complete charge.

These comparisons to overfilling the cup of water seem out of place. Isn't the PiP leaving a buffer at the top end of the SOC, about 15% or so? Do you need to throttle the current at 85% of SOC or is something else kicking in the throttle, like the temperature of the pack?

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally the first 80% get charged quickly and then it goes much slower from there. So perhaps it's that final 5%?

18. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  19. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On Long Island LIPA is about 22 cents a kilowatt for both electric and delivery combined so roughly .66 each charge. Which if you are paying avg of $4 a gallon of gas. It is probably cheaper to just not plug in. I do plug in though because I have solar electric on the house and it makes sense.

20. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since they don't get anywhere near the 100%, its not that much of a safety issue at all.

Sorry I got distracted then said filling it 100%. I ment the the analogy of trying to fill a glass to exactly 85% (Or any fixed level). If you want to hit a particular mark you need to go slower, as you repeatedly measure where you are and where you want to get. Since the act of poring fast (charging fast) is also impacting your ability to measure its better if that is slower.

Temp does make it slower and after its been charging it does accumulate more heat and need to slow down for that, but that is more of an impact on slowing down the "faster" charging part.
    You can see a plot of charging data in this thread at GM-volt.com
    TED 500 graph of two 10 min precond on 110v & 220v
    [​IMG]
    And one with temp
    Graph of data points from a remote start