1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to fix scratches on plastic panels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zenMachine, Jul 27, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My door panel got scratched from hitting the garage floor while I was working on the stereo. (Stupid me).
    Any recommendation on how to fix them? Thanks.

2. eastender43

eastender43 Junior Member

Totally depends on the depth of the scratches....If it is just in the clearcoat,and not the paint layer,then very careful hand buffing with some rubbing compound will do it.Then wax it and see what it looks like.The way to check is to rub spit on the scratch.If it still shows when wet,then the scratch is in the paint itself,and the only good fix is ...well,expensive,if you want it to look like new.Bodyshop time.I have spent enough time with rattle cans to know that it will always be a cheap look.Touch up paint in a pen is the cheap solution for deeper paint damage when you can't afford to have the whole door painted.Which is the only good solution.

My advice..based on owning a Honda Insight(aluminum doors!) that I wanted to be perfect,and it never will be...

Wax it,and don't let your gaze focus on the small scratches...because there are more coming,inevitably.

I still remember the pain of my first door ding...then after I got keyed,life actually got easier...and the touch up pen became my friend...

because after all,in the end,they are just cars...modes of transport,destined for the scrap heap one day..JMHO

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry, I wasn't being clear in my problem description. The panel I'm talking about is the inside plastic panel.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, good, because i was wondering why you tipped your Prius onto its side, to work on the stereo... :D

5. db626

db626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also find that the plastic used for the interior door panels scratch way more easily than it should. I imagine that over time, the cumulative accidental scratches, yes, even from finger nails, will lead to unsightly door panels. In addition, my door panel flexes in and outward when activating the windows!