1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to fix water leak on the trunk of a Prius 2nd Gen from 2004-2009

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alan Wayne, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Alan Wayne

Alan Wayne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I own a 2005 Toyota Prius and am experiencing water leak in the trunk. Do anyone know of any repair shops in the Atlanta, Georgia area that do these types of repairs?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I do know people in Atlanta but nobody that does this kind of body work If you open your trunk and you look where the gasket from your deck lid sits on the body of the trunk area. If you look carefully you will notice what looks like cracks these are cracks in the sealer or filler that's used around where two pieces of metal are commonly spot welded together in areas where Toyota deems is necessary you see it in the trunk on the floor of the trunk The floor of the car and the other areas the stuff cracks then water that naturally leaks around the deck with supposedly to get on the paint and on this sealer stuff that's not cracked and it just runs down like it's supposed to down the bottom of the trunk and drips on the bumper and onto the ground when this stuff is compromised you see it's cracking you can literally see it it's also painted what you have to do is seal up all those cracks from what I understand from people I would probably buy some permatex flowable silicone it's called it's silicone that's kind of watery and you can pour it and it will run down cracks get in little spaces and dry and then you do it again and maybe a third time and it finally fills in and runs into all those little cracks from what I understand people say this will seal up that trough area and the water will stop coming into your trunk I think also if your trunk is kept excessively dirty this trough area is allowed to have leaves dirt biomaterial from trees and plants falling out of the sky during certain times of the year if that builds up in the water can't run out naturally it will build up against this debris and possibly can get in the vehicle by doing that so just keeping the trough around the trunk seal clean is another given