1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get compensated for defective tires on new Prius (all 4 have tread separation at 30k miles)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeff63, Apr 13, 2015.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please post the details of the warranty that came with these tires? Remember, the car warranty itself doesn't cover the tires.

The compensation you demand greatly exceeds the remedies available through any OEM tire warranty I can remember seeing. Decent warranty coverage has come only when I've purchased replacement tires. And 30,000 miles on the OEM tires isn't abnormal.

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just go buy yourself 4 new Michelin tires.

WE0H likes this.
  3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt that he will be back.
    He didn't get the unconditional support that he wanted/needed.

DoubleDAZ likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run out on a rail...

5. ITgem679

ITgem679 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is sincerely unfortunate that there are people on this earth that believe that, after using a product and subjecting it to x-amount of wear and tear, that it isn't their own responsibility to replace the tires. I would learn never to purchase whatever brand of tire is on the car and understand I'm out whatever the cost is. It's a maintenance item, anyway. My car has 58K miles on it and I have owned it for 3 weeks. My wipers need replacing...BOTH of the front ones!! Is this the dealerships issue? Nope. It's maintenance. They get used, they get worn, they require replacing...

6. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But a good portion of the current crop of young adults was taught that they are responsible for NOTHING and someone else will always prop them up no matter what.

It's just too bad that other innocent people (service employees) have to become a part of their rude awakening.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the same people we had come into the restaurant I worked at to pay for university that would eat 3/4 or more of their food, then complain they didn't like it and they wanted a full refund. In the US with the stupid "customer is always right" motto, I have a feeling they usually get their way. The restaurant I worked at was owned and operated like a typical East Asian one and nobody got refunds for that crap. Refusals to pay were met by the police being called, or on one very special occasion the owner running out of the back with a ladle in full swing chasing down the deadbeats into the street.

If you don't like it, that's your own fault, you ordered it. You can order something else and pay for that too if you want to try something else.

ITgem679 likes this.
  8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I certainly agree with the gist of this, I'm just not sure we have enough info to know what the dealer did/didn't do to resolve the issue. It seems awfully strange that someone would drive 15,000+ miles on tires that were defective to the point of separating without some indication that tires were the issue and the dealer didn't notice or at least suggest new tires.

9. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'd certainly say that was unfortunate but maybe not unusual, sadly.

With rants like his, it is really hard to tell on which side the real fault lies.

I'm leaning heavily toward: He is just trying to get a new set of tires for free and is embellishing the details just a bit to make it sound better.

But he has picked the wrong battle to fight. There is NO way he is going to prevail.

10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree, I think he's trying to fight a losing battle. I don't know if he's embellishing or not, but my guess is he's at least relaying what the tire dealer told him. I still find it odd that all 4 tires are defective and I don't trust what the tire dealer is saying. Eventually he's going to have to break down and put new tires on, but at this point, I'd eat the $30 and go somewhere else, like Discount Tires. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll hear from him again to see if new tires fixed the problem or not. I'll be happy if I get 30,000 miles out of my OEM Goodyear tires given that I only got 18,000 miles on the Eagle GT+4s that came on my '88 Grand Prix. That soured me Goodyear forever and I'll probably eat any mileage penalty with Michelin when I need to replace these.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    30,000 miles on any "new car" tires is good. I'm surprised my Yokos lasted 40,000.

Okinawa likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is chinese food pro rated?

WE0H likes this.
  13. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No but the intelligence content of some posts here sure seems to be. :ROFLMAO:

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hold the msg!

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well ... if it was me, I would not be buying Goodyear replacements LOL

As for the actual value of tyre warranties, may I give a shout-out to Costco ?

Merkey and DoubleDAZ like this.
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I was really surprised that my Yokos lasted 52,000 miles (!) and I probably still had enough tread to go another six months. I did the smart thing, of course, and didn't wait to put on a set of Michelin Defenders.

17. Dana123

Dana123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got way more then 30000 miles service on every set of tires I've run with the exception of 2 corvettes which I replaced before 25000 miles. I replaced the Dunlops on my 2011 Accord at 55000 miles. Everyone said Dunlops were terrible, I thought they were fine.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and, they make great golf balls.

19. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You know, I'm almost certain that I have read here several times where someone or another has only gotten around 30K miles on factory tires. Some have said that the factory tires are not the same quality as replacement tires from a tire store. Just what I think I remember, but, when a man gets as old as I am they say your memory is the second thing to go--- I don't remember what the first was.

Tandem Rider likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right, but i've gone a round the corner myself...