1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get people to understand that braking is the #1 cause of bad city mpg.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by briank101, May 9, 2013.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ECO and PWR modes only affect how far you have to push the accelerator pedal to get your result, not your maximum rate of acceleration.

ewxlt66 and Witness like this.
  2. CygnusX-1

CygnusX-1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ya, I never understood how people don't grasp that concept either. I don't recall anywhere in the manual or on-line which said that switching to PWR mode gave the prius an extra 50 HP. Maybe people are just old racers where they think pressing the PWR button is like pressing the Nitrous button. :D

3. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably the same % of people that don't grasp the idea that it's really that pedal on the left that's not your mpg friend.

4. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would stay in Eco mode, and just push the pedal more. Eco helps in cold weather (turning engine off at a lower coolant temp), and hot weather (limiting max current draw of A/C). Also I understand that Eco mode causes engine to turn off more instantly when momentarily taking the foot off the gas. I find Eco's reduced sensitivity helps me more easily maintain the desired position on the HSI.
    As I said previously, I typically stay somewhere in the PWR area of the HSI or sometimes a little beyond when accelerating, which for reference is nothing to do with the "Power" mode switch. With a warmed up engine in 50 to 70 degree weather, all modes should produce similar mpg in my opinion. As I say, good anticipatory braking techniques (which counter-intuitively means using no brakes as much as possible) will have at least a 10X impact on your city mpg results than any mode setting will. It's the low hanging fruit if you will, not often emphasized enough in proportion to it mpg benefits. I guess it's because the mpg experts already know it, and it doesn't seem to make sense to the vast majority of others, unlike the ineffective "egg under the accelerator" technique which unfortunately seems to survive to the present day. And the Toyota HSI showing the Eco Light when the driver is in any part of the left half of the HSI perpetuates the myth.
    Suggestion to Toyota: Only illuminate Eco light, either when in the right half of the HSI or when the driver has lifted completely off the gas and then barely touches pedal or glides (that is little fake drag regen or little EV usage).

jgilliam1955 and Witness like this.
  5. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually for the plug-in the left pedal can be your friend if properly used to nicely charge the large battery downhill for later use. Of course in the flatland there is no advantage.

6. Witness

Witness Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, this is a good explanation. I usually stayed in Eco mode since my initial post, but have started trying the other modes out and came to the same conclusion.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many MANY people out there that think that wrestling is real and the Moon Landings were faked.
    You just aren't going to fix stupid, and I usually have better things to do than to try. ;)

Les_PL likes this.
  8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Plug-in or not doesn't make any difference. If you can travel safely without using the brake, you are better off than using it. Putting charge in the battery has losses so it is never as good as putting that same energy into momentum. If you need to brake to remain safe, you need that brake regardless of whether it would save energy or not.

9. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course you would never use braking just to generate electricity. Fortunately most of the "hills" in our area (Sierra Nevada Mountains/Foothills and Coast Range) do indeed require an appropriate amount of braking. Even in the flat lands braking is required frequently when not on the freeway. And, of course, slowing down from freeway speeds requires appropriate regenerative braking. With its larger battery capacity and the opportunity to chose when to use the charge in the battery this makes the plug-in a definite mpg winner even after last night's charge is used up.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or still married . . .

I love my wife dearly but would rather pay her gas bills than alimony. I still work so she has no clue about how I drive except for when I'm driving her somewhere:
    • "YOU'RE LETTING A TRUCK PASS YOU!!"
    • "We're not late. I'm dressed and the appointment is in 30 minutes (and 120 miles!)"
    I wonder if WARP drive was invented by a married man?

Bob Wilson

jgilliam1955 and F8L like this.
  11. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, that's an interesting discussion. I thought the best MPG techniques included not to go in the pwr section of the HSI. So I can accelerate faster now? That will be a relief :)

In the same idea, should I press the gas pedal a lot when climbing a hill? I live in a place with many many steep hills.

Thanks for your answer.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Stomping on the gas pedal will hurt fuel economy, but the real killer is not anticipating traffic and red lights.

It is OK to coast.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I generally use the Hybrid System Indicator display, and when accelerating try to keep it in the white zone flagged with "3", per the following:
    Prius - Hybrid System Indicator.jpg
    It's not always possible, sometimes on steep hills you have to go into the PWR zone, but I try to stick to it.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You thought right.

I try to gain speed before the hill so that I do not have to floor the pedal.

retired4999 likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the very best MPG, that is correct. But based on the BSFC charts posted some time ago, I believe you can go part way in to the PWR section and still get extremely good MPG, while gaining a lot in driveability and traffic compatibility. No sense angering a lot of other drivers to save a little bit of fuel, when other techniques can save a lot more fuel without upsetting others.

Gaining speed before the hill, good opportunistic gliding, good driving-without-brakes style, and timing of traffic lights will save far more fuel than avoiding PWR on uphills.
    With some hills, the car simply needs a lot of gas, d**m the HSI display. I haven't attempted to test what speed it can climb a 7% grade without going into PWR, but it seems it might be at risk of getting rear-ended by one of those 80,000 trucks creeping slowly uphill. And even if it isn't quite that slow, I still don't have the patience to spend an extra 30 minutes just to avoid hitting PWR.

retired4999 likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1++

17. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    True, I already do it, but even this way, I can get below 20 mph, they are mountains not just small hills. I'm questioning myself since I have the car and I think it's best to go faster while going up to reduce the time the car is in pwr, but I was not able to test my theory yet.

18. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The time it takes is not part of the mpg equation. If you go up a 1 mile hill slow and the mpg is 20 for one mile you use less gas for that mile than if you go up the 1 mile hill fast and the mpg is 10 for that one mile.

19. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I know this but with the friction in the equation it's not linear.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you asking the why behind the answer ? I can try and give you a qualitative explanation based on a units analysis --

rpm is proportional to power; if torque is held constant, the change in rpm is equal to the change in power. That is the situation we are discussing going up a hill.

Piston friction is primarily a function of rpm, and is somewhat linear.

Power increases with the cube of velocity.

And there is the problem: An increase in rpm leads to a linear increase in ICE drag, but only a cubed root increase in speed.