1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get the most efficient braking score

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by dalcon95, Apr 1, 2017.

1. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lol. I don't have a clue on my lifetime miles/kwh though. I am trying to master technique without too much science behind it.

#1 in Easley,SC

2. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    The car knows. Set the main display to 'i' and scroll down by using the down button on the steering wheel.

dalcon95 likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck with your score! I've learned to ignore it because MPG is all that matters and I don't want to piss off other drivers.

HPrimeAdvanced and dalcon95 like this.
  4. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looking at it. It says my lifetime miles/kWh is 4.6 miles/kwh.

#1 in Easley,SC

5. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Yep. In Dalcon's defense though, his motivation is not the score per se but a desire to keep the ICE off in his work commute.

The answer in his case is 1, no friction braking; and 2, as little regen as possible.

Merged. Use multi quote

#25 EV-ish, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
    dalcon95 likes this.
  6. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am driving at 88 percent EV.

#1 in Easley,SC

It said monitor 2 on top. I tried toggling my trip and didn't see it change.

#1 in Easley,SC

I have driven 3945 miles on the odometer.

#1 in Easley,SC

#26 dalcon95, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
    Prius from Dad likes this.
  7. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    What EV range per full charge does the car report -- say when you leave for work in the morning ?

8. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Currently 35 miles. I looked at my diary and it said 6.1 miles/kWh. It has increased from December which was 4.6 miles/kwh.

#1 in Easley,SC

EV-ish likes this.
  9. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Yes, that makes pretty good sense:

We think the usable battery capacity is 5.6 kWh, so at 6.1 miles per kWh you should have 5.6*6.1 = 34 miles of range. The ICE warm-up may be adding some EV range that is being included.

Addendum: it also suggests that you will have to reach about 7.3 miles a kWh to drive your work commute on EV only and one full charge. Doable, if you current excellent results have been on wet roads.

#29 EV-ish, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    dalcon95 likes this.
  10. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is that 5.6 kWh capacity you mentioned the EV designated range? I have been using the HV designated range to get home too. When I plug in at home using my L1 charger, it says it takes 6 hrs to charge, which I assume I am not only charging the EV designated portion but part of the HV designated portion too.

#1 in Easley,SC

11. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I do the same, EV then HV on my 72 mi. commute. The ICE needs to warm up then you can use HV battery on slight declines. I use DCC and when on slight declines I pause cruise and immediately turn it back on when the indicator is about 3/16 below line at ECO on monitor. If you keep it under that line you can use HV battery no matter the speed. I can do it at 60-65 (I don't go faster than that). Using the HV on the last leg of my commute, I can get about 3-4 miles (25-35 mph speed limits).

Nic Steussy and dalcon95 like this.
  12. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Sorry, I don't know what 'designated range' refers to.

An 'empty' battery charged to 'full' will have 5.6 kWh of energy available for EV driving. I put empty and full in quotes because the Prime software does not let the battery discharge or fill up completely. Since the nominal capacity is 8.8 kwh, the Prime is only letting us play with ~ 64%

13. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does 'empty' mean 0 miles of EV range or 2 bars on HV mode after EV only is depleted? I am using all the battery down near the 2 bars on the HV mode. Is the amount I'm using the 5.6 kWh you are talking about or is it the 35 mile range I'm taking about? If it is the 35 miles I'm taking about, then I am using more than 5.6 kWh into the HV mode. Not sure how much kWh I am using beyond the 5.6 kWh though.

#1 in Easley,SC

What is the capacity that the software allows the battery to be depleted for HV mode before the ICE kicks on to charge back to the battery in HV mode? This is considering the ICE is warmed up. That is additional capacity beyond the EV capacity that the software allows. I am using that additional capacity to drive in EV mode.

#1 in Easley,SC

#33 dalcon95, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  14. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    My guess is that your 35 miles of range includes your dip into the HV reserve, and possibly also any charge sent to the battery during the ICE warm-up.

... But perhaps not for the reasons you are considering. I'm a little bit sure that the EV range is calculated by the car as your last trip's miles/kwh value * 5.6 kWh. The inflation in EV range, as it were, is occurring because your miles/kWh is inflated by the dip into the HV reserve and ICE warm up phase. Not much, but maybe a mile or so of EV range you will 'lose' when the ICE stays off.

I've seen about 0.75 miles of EV range added by driving into the HV SoC before the car uses the ICE to knock it back down. I suspect that you are right that the dip into the HV SoC is adding to your miles/kWh value because you arrive home before the ICE kicks in again.

#34 EV-ish, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    dalcon95 likes this.
  15. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you know what the size of capacity of the battery is being used for the 0.75 miles? Also curious, what is your title on the Prime app so I can look you up?

#1 in Easley,SC

16. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I think a fair guess would be ~ 150 Wh

No idea. I'm a peasant with a Prime plus model.

priuscatprimeguy and dalcon95 like this.
  17. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh, sorry to hear that. It is interesting to see the records people are getting for their mpg and ECO scores for the month. I got 999.9 mpg with 884 miles last month and that put me in second place among Prime Advanced drivers.

#1 in Easley,SC

18. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Nice!

My Prime is used to drive my 90 mile r/t work commute that is about 80% highway. It takes about one full charge and one gallon for the trip. Like you, my results have been affected by rain and wind in the week I've had the car so I'm somewhat optimistic that some trips will hit 100 mpg as the weather improves. And then stink in the winter ; -)

dalcon95 likes this.
  19. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I used 17 miles of my 35 EV mile range going into work today. If it doesn't rain, hopefully I could make it home with the 18 miles I have left. We will see!

#1 in Easley,SC

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  20. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    If you normally use at least half your SoC to get to work, you are in fine shape for the return trip.

Good Luck!

p.s., I was thinking about your challenge yesterday in the context of my experience driving Toyota hybrids. Doubling EPA in actual commuting is about the best anyone can do, and it requires a perfect storm of slow driving, good weather, good roads and almost no brake use. 1.8x EPA is the best I usually managed because of poor roads. Using these numbers,
    1. Perfect Drive: 50 miles EV range
    2. Doable with excellent weather and little traffic: 25*1.8 = 45 miles EV range

#40 EV-ish, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Prius from Dad and dalcon95 like this.