1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to "Ignore" other Members

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 13, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just read an email sent to me by an ex-Priuschat member. This international member became disenfranchised enough to let me know that they will not be coming back. It represents a true loss to the collective knowledge and personality of the community. One of the reasons they cited is the closed-mindedness of a few members. And I'm partially to blame for that. You see, we struggle to extend a certain level of freedom here at Priuschat. This means that we moderators often have to leave our personal opinions on the sidelines and respect a person's right to be ignorant, flame baiting, arrogant, and/or rude (within a standard that we redefine situationally).

So I'm starting this thread to make sure people know that they have the right to ignore people. Even though the offending individual might be quoted in someone else's reply, you will still be spared the vast majority of their ignorance. Follow these easy steps.

1) Click the person's name in their reply.
    [attachmentid=5663]

2) On the "View Profile" page, click the [Profile Options] button and then the "Ignore User" line.
    [attachmentid=5664]

Exercise your right to ignore.

Attached Files:

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

Followed your instructions to the letter.

Your now ignored. :D :p

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, Efusco is now ignored.

Can I send you the rest of my list?

:p

4. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Nov 13 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]348584[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TheForce -

Couldn't have said it better! "TonyPSchaefer" does tend to get a little in-your-face at times. I can see why some people would choose to not be subjected to his admonishments again.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    are you suggesting we ignore evan? :p

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Please ignore Evan. :)
    Actually I had to use someone who I knew would accept that I just needed an example. Since I took the screen captures logged in as Priapus, I suppose I could have blocked myself.

This is actually one of my more serious threads. It's accepted that sometimes people change lifestyles or fall out of the habit of coming around but I never like to hear when someone intentionally walks away with ill will. Additionally, this person went on to say, "I’ve even been approached at Safeway or at the local malls by new Prius owners asking if PriusChat is a good source of information. I quite frankly tell them to avoid PriusChat, as it is nothing more than a “Rah Rah I’m an American bite me†sort of place."

So I want to make sure and discuss another way people can keep their sanity: simply don't get involved in the threads that might upset you. Yes, there are people in the world who are simply waiting for you to speak up so they can lash out at you. Yes, those people are closed-minded xenophobic ignorants who will hide behind the most recent rhetoric that was pumped into their tiny little minds in order to artificially bolster their shaky position. Do yourself and the rest of the world a favor: stay the Hell away. People like that want a crowd; they thrive on attention; they need the interaction. There would be no need for Mods to ban obstinate members if the collective intelligence of this board would simply exercise a little constraint and not play into their petty little tricks. We receive reports complaining about their posts from those who choose to interact with them and from those who choose to read their posts. Do neither and we will all be happier.

Having said that, if you should choose to push mental acumen aside, deduct a few points from your IQ, and attempt interaction with the resident troglodytes, you get what you deserve.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't say that I have much sympathy for him. As you say, if he would just stay off of FHOP, he would see only relatively sane Prius discussions.

Perhaps the FHOP posts are too integrated in the default "View All New Posts" query. That query link is the second one listed and is bolded so it is the choice most likely to be made by new members. Sure, there is the other "View New Posts" link that allows you to filter on specific forums, but its a bit awkward to use.

So here's my suggestion...

Remove FHOP and Environmental Discussions from the "Latest Threads" list on the PriusChat front page. Replace the bolded "View All New Posts" link with a different link (bolded) that displays new posts from all Prius related forums, but not FHOP or Environmental Discussions. Maybe call it "View All New Prius Posts" or something. Leave the existing "View New Posts" link that allows you to choose a forum. And then put an unbolded "View All New Posts" link between the "My Assistant" and the "New Messages" link, where the new PriusChat user is less likely to see it.

That way the new user is likely to not even realize FHOP is there until after they've been on the board for a while, and once they discover it, they will already know an easy way to ignore it if they choose.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 14 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]348662[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, the BT Brace threads are soooo dull. :rolleyes:

That's for reminding us about the "Ignore." Currently I don't have anyone ignored, as I hope to learn from anybody; although I've been tempted at times.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 14 2006, 12:42 AM) [snapback]348582[/snapback]</div>
    Did you say something? :p

Tom

10. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I'd like to add my voice to those who think that the problem is related to the "view all new posts" link. As a relatively newish user, I've found that it's extremely convenient to be able to just click that link to see everything that's been posted since my last visit. When I first started using it, I discovered to my dismay that there were so many political posts, which seemed completely inappropriate (I've since become not only comfortable, but active in FHOP, though, and I like it).

It was only after using it a few days that I realized the "view all new posts" link showed everything, including FHOP. So, I'm pretty sure that the big issue here is that new users are subjected to FHOP posts way before they've become comfortable on the site in general.

I would suggest simply adding a link that says "view all new Prius-related posts only", making it bold, and leaving the "view all new posts" there, but unbolding it.

Vince

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What would be nice is if IPB had a facility for letting people ignore
    entire forum areas. Fred's Heap of Politics would be first into my
    list. If that were doable, then the resident flamers would have to
    venture *way* out of where they're allowed to ever cross my screen.
    I don't currently know of any of these PHP-based boards that does
    that, however, which seems a major failing in not only the original
    design but all variants that followed.
    I suppose the alternative solution is to create an entirely separate
    bboard, "polichat.com" or some such, and tell 'em all to take it
    100% over there unless it's directly Prius-relevant...
    _H*

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Note that when you ignore someone, posts from them will still be indicated. But rather than seeing the message content, you get this...

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: *******
    • view this post
    • Un-ignore *******

13. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 14 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]348698[/snapback]</div>
    What I like about the "view all new posts" link is that I can get the FHOP posts and relevant Prius-related posts with the same simple click. I certainly understand the desire to somehow keep Fred's posts from showing up unless they're specifically wanted, but moving the forum to another site would be a disaster for it. Even making it harder to get the FHOP posts would have a detrimental effect on it.

Part of what keeps me involved in the PC community is that I have FHOP to come to frequently to discuss other issues, but that allows me to stay up on what's going on with the Prius. It's a valuable symbiotic relationship, and I think it would be unwise to sever it.

Vince

14. Monguire

Monguire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 14 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]348662[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed wholeheartedly. As a lurker here at PriusChat for a few months, I almost left in disgust at all the FHOP blather that is tossed up in my face via the Latest Threads and View All New Posts upon entry to the site. I have ZERO interest in talking politics, religion, sexual preference or state of the world HERE on this site. I'm here for the resources available to Prius owners. I eventually overcame my initial disgust with all the blatantly biased non-prius-related diatribes and registered anyway.

I've simply learned to set up bookmarks to the 6 forums of true value to me as a Prius owner and simply avoid the rest of the site. This is a fantastic resource, the best I've seen for the Prius, but I can easily see where folks would be turned away by the volume, bias and obnoxious breadth of non-related topics that jump up and down in front of everyone stopping by the main page of the site. It's great to have forums for unrelated discussion, banter, soap-boxing, etc....I just don't care to have those contents called to my attention as a consumer of purely Prius-related information, ideas and topics.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll second Monquire and others that said the same.

I'm backing off the FHOP as it does seem more than a few have time to argue indefinitely for the apparent payoff of offending. Was a bit disappointed to PM a couple of times to say I agreed to get no reply - suggests they are argueing - not debating.

Different angle - it's not a good thing when most posts are off-topic. I'm not suggesting to do like www.insightcentral.net and lock repeated topics and even topics that are not hard-core on-topic (ABSURD over-moderation). I would like to point out when someone joins, they expect most activity to be about the site's them (i.e. the Prius, or at least hybrids). I started a site of my own and unfortunately the people that badgered me to do it go off-topic 90% of the time. :(

Yes, it's a good idea to make the on-topic forums easier to get than the off-topic stuff.

16. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 14 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]348662[/snapback]</div>
    Please, don't remove the environmental from lastest threads. The environment is integral to the Prius, and important to keep on top of it. It would be more appropriate to have the FHOP latest threads to itself if possible as it almost dwarfs all the Prius threads. (Would it be too daring to have a Political forum all to itself?)

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would not consider enviromental topics as off-topic deserving to be grouped with the other FHOP hot topics.

18. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 14 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]348750[/snapback]</div>

OMG, NEVER BECOME LIKE INSIGHTCENTRAL! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bullock over-moderates over there like insightcentral is his personal kingdom and the users are just peasants to be toyed with...no thanks.

That's one of the things that was so appealing to me about PriusChat. The discussion is allowed to go on freely over here with only "modest moderation", and users aren't suppressed here.

Believe it or not, it's one of the (albeit minor) reasons why we decided to jump from an Insight to a Prius.

Vince

19. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Nov 14 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]348766[/snapback]</div>
    Since ignoring entire forums isn't feasible, I think this would be a good idea. Maybe FHOP can be split into two forums, one political and the other non? There have been some really good non-political discussions in FHOP (Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD, for example) as well as the silly fun of "Question Everything" and "Complete the Limerick". Also, I've seen many requests for help with non-Prius items posted there. Removing it from the general search could lead people to think we're only interested in helping if you have Prius-related questions.

20. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think separating politics from FHOP is a great idea. I'm on other forums that have a separate political forum.