1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to "Ignore" other Members

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 13, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To me, Fred's House of Pancakes is what makes PriusChat. The rest I could get by reading the manual, or checking Toyota's website. There's no sense of community in "What's that little piece in the upper glovebox for?" Debating the issues of the day, creative wordplay, and sharing the minutiae of our lives is what makes this place what it is. Yes, there are attention whores and blatant flamers here, but that's nothing unique. There is also intelligence, warmth, humour, and learning, and these are all too rare.

Sorry, Tony, I respectfully disagree. Ignoring ignorance isn't going to make it go away.

2. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 14 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]348692[/snapback]</div>
    As everyone has noticed, the political posts from FHOP almost dominate the"latest threads", leaving actual Prius posts in the "PriusChat" behind in limbo. A separate Political forum would be one solution. Then we could have a 'View New' (to include FHOP non-political) and a 'View All New' to include everything including Political. Just a suggestion.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 14 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]348787[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we should get the IC mod to drive a Hummer. :p

The longest thread they had started by a brilliant guy that had a hack to manually control the Insight's Assist and a few other goodies. 100-200 posts later, the IC mod - duh asks Honda what they thinks? The answer could not be clearer to anyone in Lawsuit Aversion 101, so they locked the thread and drove quite a few members away. They put a couple of sites they drove Insight members from on their dirty word filter.

I predict that place will become a ghost site in a couple of years and they will rationalize it's because the Insight is out of production, giving a blind eye that there are active sites for other out of production cars like the 1964 Shelby Mustang. ;)

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would be nice if ignoring users would ignore the threads they start, too. You always see the most inflammatory tags in the header, which can't be ignored (Danny, can this be changed?)

Nate

5. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 14 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]348878[/snapback]</div>
    I presume you're talking about Mike Dabrowski? I offered to set up a discussion forum for him when they basically booted him off the IC site so that his discussion could continue (actually, I did set up the forum for him to look at and approve but he decided to move to cleanmpg.com).

That's what I would like to avoid on PC. So far the moderation has been just about perfect, so no complaints there, but I'm concerned about the direction that this whole FHOP thing will go. If FHOP is made to be more difficult to get to, it will result in fewer posts there...I'm sure of it because I know how I work and I'm just too lazy to click through several links just to get both my Prius news and latest FHOP posts. I'm guessing that there are others as lazy as me. That's why I think adding two links (one for Prius only and one for everything) is the solution.

Vince

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it's Mike Dabrowski and IC gave him the shaft big time, yet they do nothing about the most notorious hybrid/EV troller roaming there. (????) Troy Heagy has shut down an EV forum and trolled at least six sites over five years.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 14 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]348656[/snapback]</div>
    Not the impression I have of PriusChat, but then I tend to avoid most of the political and jingoistic stuff, although I sometimes wonder why Americans seem much more patriotic than other nationalities.

Let's not be too sensitive: surely anyone who comes on to a discussion group like this knows that there'll sometimes be abuse, hard words, disagreeable ideas, etc coming from various people just like you know when you walk on a busy city street there'll be pushing, shoving, loud traffic noises, smoky exhausts, etc. Just ignore them.

I certainly would not advise any Prius owner not to join us.

8. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reminded often of the term free speech when reading FHOP. While I do not agree with others saying this thread should be excised or locked down. I do believe that we can use the delete key if needed.

America is about civil liberties. Perhaps not so obvious now during our present political climate but America is about advanced citizenship. It is a place where I can stand center stage advocating my beliefs standing next to another who quite literally stands for everything I have spent a lifetime opposing. It means I have the right to express my belief even if it is unwelcome to others. It also means that often I am at odds with another over their belief system. As an educated and thoughtful thinker I also have the right to block someone that bothers me without getting into it with them. You can do that simply by pressing delete or ignoring the thread that bothers.

I can access anything I want on the web. I can visit sites that offer insight and knowkledge from others about certain things. I can also visit sites that advocate violence and hatred. What I choose to listen to is up to me and me only. I do not need a moderator to protect me from them no more then I need my President telling me what to believe.

I guess in the end what I am saying is use your own judgement and use the delete key but do not advocate some higher authority to limit our exposure. Make your own choices but for goodness sake don't deny people the right to make the choice that's right for them. I dislike my President saying I shouldn't have an abortion or a same sex marriage. I choose my own paths and others must do the same. If you don't want an abortion, don't get one, but don't deny me my legal right to get one if I want because it offends your sensibilities.
    -Paul R. Haller-

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 14 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]348846[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. FHOP is my favorite...and those whose opinions I find distasteful I just set on "ignore," as per the earlier instructions.

Except for the 3-4 that I have on ignore, I really get a kick out of reading everyone's posts. To quote the Osmonds, a bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch, baby.

10. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 14 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]348928[/snapback]</div>
    All Prius owners are part of the PChat community and welcome. An excellent source of information. Possible reason for poster's impression is the 'latest threads' are often dominated by political discussions from FHOP rather than by Prius posts which fall behind. See suggestion for separate Political forum.

11. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

Here's an idea:

Do a poll. One that includes all the ideas in this thread.
    whichever gets the most votes gets done. Nothing better than
    simple democratic process.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Nov 14 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]348933[/snapback]</div>

This idea is the heart of America. We are the land of the FREE.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 14 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]348907[/snapback]</div>
    You and I are part of that small group of hybrid veterans who have observed very troubling patterns like that over time. I bet there are a number of newbies that perceived me as hostile when I launched certain frontal assaults trying to restore order to a group that had become chaotic, from very specific people intentionally causing trouble. It's a sad reality.

Hopefully, enhancements like "ignore" help make some of that more tolerable.

The well laid out design of forum sections and the topics within help a bunch too. In the early days, that wasn't available. So groups would literally shut down simply by being flooding with content counter to what people wanted to discuss. It's still not perfect. But it is quite a bit better now.

For those that have a hard time tolerating the non-ideal conditions, my advice is to think of it as music. When you are listening to the radio, not every song is great. So give little attention to the ones (as with posts online) that don't satisfy. Overall, you'll end up mostly remembering the pleasing stuff anyway.

13. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sometimes we expect too much.

We forget that we are a mix of all ages, all degrees of wealth, most degrees of education, all imaginable genders, many nationalities, many religous beliefs, most political persuasions and more, who mostly also own a Prius.

We need to concentrate on getting what we want out of PriusChat rather than trying to mold PriusChat to fit our personalities.

We can do that if we try.

14. chimohio

chimohio New Member

The way I see it, FHOP is a place where you can vent, open up, explain yourself, debate, argue - what ever you want to call it. Some members may actually (personally) know other members, while some only know them by what they post.
    If you wanted to you could look at Priuschat as a family, or a bunch of acquaintances. Sure not everybody always agrees with each other, but for the most part until you are really totally offended you do listen to their viewpoint, whether you like it or not. I guess if you get to the totally offended part, you could always INGORE them, that is your choice.
    I even told someone at work whose son is considering a Prius to check us out - there is a lot of good information - even in FHOP.
    It all gets back to our ability to speak our mind - and have that as a right.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Priuschat and FHOP are wonderfully smelly yet delicate flowers that attract certain insects and repel others.

Let the bees and the butterflies of the world light on the flowers they like, either within Priuschat or somewhere else on the 'net.

You change the smell or color of the flower and you'll do nothing but get a different type of infestation.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Nov 14 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]349211[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the kind words.

I generally live and let live with the exception of a tiny minority that came to troll against hybrids. I have a reputation from going after such people and it seems to be blown out of proportion.

In real life, would Klansmen be allowed to promote white supreamacy at a NAACP convention? Obviously not, but on the internet you get this mystical utopian nonsense that in the name of unlimited free speech, such disruptions should be protected. :rolleyes:

I mention this only because the mention of one troller with a clear hate of hybrids. There is nobody at PriusChat that I'd consider a troller.

I'm leaving hot threads more and more, as the common demoninator of flame wars is harping on controversey.

Sort of Related - anyone heard of "Godwin's Law"? It's the observation that when someone interjects Hitler/Nazis in a hot topic, that thread invariably goes out of hand.

I think it would be humorous if there is a "Forum Rules" to state:
    "Please don't casually mention Hitler when a thread is getting controversial - we banned him" :D

17. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is that what FHOP is? I was beginning to think it was Flaming Hounds/House of Politics. <_<

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 14 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]348846[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree here.

IMO, there's only so much when it comes to talking about your car. Yes, the Prius is unique, yes I love it to death (still don't have the heart to trade it in for a crew-cab truck), but you can only read so much about how you can get a .000234 mpg increase by removing the Toyota emblem on the hood, or endless discussions about what type of oil works best, before you get bored silly.

Intelligent people know the best way to diffuse obnoxious folks is to simply not buy into it, and ignore it. IMO, the "ignore" function should be REMOVED completely. One of the most valuable skills in this day and age is the ability to deal with what you don't like. Of course, this is only my humble opinion on the matter...

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 14 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]348668[/snapback]</div>
    This is my feeling also.
    Limited thoughts; lead to limited minds.
    You never know who will inspire you.
    Why would anyone want to limit themselves?

20. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 14 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]348846[/snapback]</div>
    This is very true and pretty much how I view the site. I've managed to make some connections and also have a few good arguments with other members. That's what keeps me coming back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 15 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]349426[/snapback]</div>
    MS makes a great point. I'm sure there are many people who found this site because they had a question about their car or wanted to learn more about it before buying. But once they have it, they're not that interested in the "car" side of things. I'm not going to mod my car and I've read enough about tire pressure and synthetic oil to make an informed decision. Jumping into FHOP with both feet is what's made the site fun. And, as stated, being able to read something you find obnoxious and not lose your head is a useful skill.