1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to improve open rear door visibility?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Feb 13, 2019.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So someone crashed into my lovely Prius today. It was dark, and I have a black Prius. I was also wearing black. I was putting my 4 year old daughter into her child seat behind the driver's seat, and someone passed me at around 30MPH, far too close. Their side mirror hit the back of my jacket, and then there was a huge bang and their mirror hit the open door. Their mirror exploded into about 10 pieces, and impacted their front side window shattering it. Had I been standing half a step further back it would have hit me in the side, and had it come along 5 seconds earlier it would have hit both me and my daughter.

Luckily, we're all fine. Perhaps more amazing is there is literally not a mark on my Prius at all. I've inspected it closely and there is just no visible damage anywhere. The door and window open and close fine. There's no scratches. No dents. Nothing, other than maybe a tiny chip in the paint on the most protruding part of the rear edge of the door... but I suspect that's been caused previously when my daughter has slammed the door into numerous brick walls.

All that being said, I think a contributing factor was poor visibility of the read doors when open. The front doors have puddle lights that come up the inside of the door a small amount, which makes the doors visible when open. But the rear doors are just black, everywhere. No lights or reflectors or anything.

I know you can get fluorescent sticky tape strips to make things like this more visible, but I figured I'd ask on here in case anybody has some better ideas...

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    DOT C2 conspicuity tape. It really is the best stuff for this. Put some on the painted part of the door interior near the rearmost (outermost when open) part.

The Professor likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My VOLVO which had a small red light inset into all the doors as they opened? I've seen them aftermarket.

Something like this (not my car - mine was an earlier white one):

upload_2019-2-14_10-28-57.png

Could you get a car-wrap business to apply some white wrap to the inside door panel?

I had an almost black car a few years ago (titanium I think they called it) - I soon learned that it was invisible in certain lights. The same colour as many road surface. I drove with headlights on day and night.

4. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I replaced my interior dome light with a very bright blue Led,and the front door low lights with LED's, bad driver, driver needs a time out and an eye examination.

5. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    First of all, I'm very happy to hear that you and your daughter emerged unscathed. As for your car, that's good too, although I'd recommend having it closely examined by a body expert to ensure that there's nothing damaged in a subtle way that you're not seeing right now.

As for the visibility issue, I owned a black Prius for well over a decade, and I've got a dark gray one now, so I'm right with you on the visibility concerns. In fact, I just alluded to this issue this evening in this thread: 2019 Prius Midcycle Refresh Details | Page 13 | PriusChat . That was regarding using the fog light when the headlight was out, to mark that side of the black car in the dark.

I've actually considered, for my new car, what's already been recommended: reflective tape. The enhanced lighting suggestion sounds good too. Really, ANYTHING you can do to increase visibility, you should consider.

Over the years, I've had various positions in and around aviation safety (my avatar is one of my favorite collected gems...). One of the most perplexing aspects of this field is its inherent paradoxical/enigmatic nature. In particular, it's very difficult to actually prove what steps increase safety -- it's impossible, after all, to line up all the "accidents that never happened" as proof! The "counter point"? Just make your car as visible as you can (without ruining it, of course -- don't go painting it with florescent chartreuse zebra stripes...), and as we used to say, keep YOUR head on a swivel at all times!

The Professor likes this.
  6. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks all.

I'm considering taking it to my Toyota Dealership to get officially checked.

I've just ordered some DOT C2 conspicuity tape from Amazon which I'll apply to the rear doors so it's more visible in the dark when open.

I'll try and remember to come back and post some pictures. :D

7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok Prof.
    There's no accounting for impatient idiots who are not paying attention and I don't think reflective tape or lights on the door would have made any difference in this case. Sorry for being so cynical, but I'm glad the other driver got payback for his actions.
    Check your door gaps and the hinge mountings for damage, although door mirrors are fairly flimsy things, designed to collapse on impact, so you should be ok.

8. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks - yeah I only thought to check the hinges this morning - they appear fine. Gaps are all the same as before. Still amazed there's nothing to see! Love this car! :D

kithmo likes this.
  9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Only thing I can suggest here is to turn on the hazards if you are gonna hang around the car for some reason, e.g. getting your daughter out, the groceries, or doing emergency maintenance on the side of the road.

Nothing is gonna prevent a careless/reckless driver from hitting you.

10. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    This is what I ended up with...

Attached Files:

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.
    I'm just glad to hear yourself and your daughter weren't hurt. That's a dangerous scenario.

I would say this.

You can do things as suggested to improve the visibility of the open doors BUT...
    really if you were parked on the side of the road?
    The Primary Factor was a driver not paying attention and being negligent. Someone being that reckless? The blame for what happened lies on the driver of the offending car.

I drive a black vehicle. And I feel it's more visible during the daylight than many colors...but at night, well it's black.
    But really, that's no excuse. I'm assuming the offending car had headlights, and there was enough light being generated for yourself and your vehicle to be entirely visible.

I guess I'm saying...I'm glad everyone is OK...and don't blame yourself or even your vehicle for what happened. Whether the vehicle is black, white, or has flashing lights on it like a space ship in Close Encounters, it's the responsibility of those on the road NOT to hit parked cars.

kithmo likes this.
  12. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Oh absolutely - I certainly agree with everything said there. I'm not blaming myself. I'm just more aware that there are idiot drivers out there that don't pay enough attention, or perhaps even good drivers that got distracted for a moment - we're all only human. They will always be there and there's nothing I can really do about their presence. However, I can improve the visibility of my car at night, which may reduce the chances of such incidents in the future. It's the only way I can really improve my chances, even if it's only by a small amount.

The Electric Me likes this.
  13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good job, mate!

Maybe also think about a strip on the bottom of the rear liftgate, the bit that faces aft when the hatch is up.

I don't buy gray, silver or black cars but I'm still attempting to round up some leftover "see-tape" to do a similar door treatment for ours. Thanks for the motivation!

PS night photo (with flash) will be very illustrative. The key to that stuff working is having illumination and receptor on a common axis relative to the tape. It won't light up much from ambient light, but when the lamp and eye (or image sensor) are close together it really shines up.

#13 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure..and again, glad everyone is safe and unhurt.
    I do think sometimes when we are involved in any happening that is an intrusion into our own world of "safety" we can consciously or subconsciously react with almost a victims trauma like guilt. Again this happened because the driver of the offending vehicle was not paying attention and being reckless, not because your open doors don't have lights or reflectors, or that you were wearing dark colors or that your vehicle is black. However....I agree...

There's absolutely no downside to improving the visibility of your open doors. It's a good project, and if it at all relieves any future stress? Well worth it. And at night (or day) ...I'm not going to argue with more visible is safer than less visible.

Good Luck with your visibility improvement project, and let's hope nothing like this happens again.

PS.
    That reflective tape is a good and simple solution. I own a black vehicle and you've motivated me into doing the same. It's a good idea.

kithmo likes this.
  15. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    There you go! That tape is both hi-vis and "something unexpected," both of which should go a long way to breaking into the "attention circuitry" of the next addled, distracted or otherwise tuned out driver you might next encounter.

On a more humourous (spelling in deference to The Professor's location ;) ) note, this might be the first time in my life (well over fifty years worth...) that I've ever seen the door jamb area cleaner looking than the rest of the car. Good grief, prof, wash your poor car! ;):p:cool:

alanclarkeau and The Professor like this.
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius is black also and I like the idea of the reflective tape. There are all kinds of high visibility items for sale now for construction workers, joggers and bikers, now it is time for just normal people to make themselves more visible.

17. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Not even joking - I washed it less than a week ago! FML lol.

fuzzy1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And it's black!:)

My dealer told me they have a hard time selling black cars.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Night time pictures with flash...

Attached Files:

20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    A flashing blue light usually draws attention, although totally illegal on non police cars.