1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to install a Cruise Control switch in 2004 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackmilas, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How to install a Cruise Control switch in a 2004 Prius?
    Some European versions including mine come without cc switch.

I found the list of parts:

Main Cruise Control switch 8463234010
    Cable to connect the switch 8463348020
    Steering wheel right lower cover 4518647010C0
    Stop Light Switch 8434020060

I spoke with my local dealer service and they said they wouldn't do that because they were worrying about braking car's ECU. They don't know anything about Prius there...

Anyway - could someone please help me with my issue? I really want to have CC installed.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you wish to DIY the installation. I suggest you obtain a subscription to the Toyota Europe techinfo website so that you can download the necessary info, like how to remove the steering wheel center hub without having the airbag blow up in your face, how to install the stop light switch on the brake pedal assembly, etc.
    Toyota Service Information

Good luck.

3. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd rather pay someone to fit it rather than do it myself.
    Although if it's not too difficult I could try...

Can anyone confirm the parts numbers are correct and these are the only elements I would have to order at Toyota dealership?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use this website to confirm Toyota part numbers. The list that you cited sounds good; at minimum that should give you a good start on the project.
    http://www.toyodiy.com/

If you do a search you may find posts from other owners who have done the project and confirm their parts lists. Some posters, instead of replacing the brake light switch, use a normally-closed relay to provide the second set of contacts, that is controlled by the contacts on the existing switch. This is because the switch is not that easy to get to and replace. An interesting alternative to consider.

5. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Breaking the ECU? The ECU already provides the cruise control function, there is just no switch to turn it on and set it. All the install does is connects a switch so you can turn on the function and set it, as well as adds the brake switch so that the brakes can turn off the function.

I'm not sure how difficult it is, but will be doing it within the next couple months. Sucks that the base model doesn't have the switch, but it looks to be an easy problem to remedy.

While we're at it, if you get the parts, can you let us know the cost of each?

6. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that the dealership service will know how to replace the switch. Unfortunately I don't even know what normally-closed relay is...

Anyway - they said today to call them tomorrow. They will ask Toyota central office in Poland if it's possible and, if it is, how to do that.

The cost is around 133 Euro for the parts.

7. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity - how the new brake light switch gets connected to the cruise control?
    Why is it needed anyway? The car's ECU senses the brake pedal - because this is how you turn the car on and this is how you switch the transmission (from P to D or R) - while holding the brake pedal...

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius has multiple ECUs. The hybrid vehicle ECU manages the cruise control function. Pin ST1- is connected to +12VDC provided by the 7.5A IGN fuse, through a normally-closed switch. When the brake pedal is depressed this switch will open so that current flow is interrupted.

The same ECU also has pin STP which receives +12VDC provided by the 7.5A STOP fuse through a normally-open switch. When the brake pedal is depressed then 12VDC is provided to that pin.

The cruise control switch has several resistances within the switch that come into effect depending upon which function you select; ON/OFF, CANCEL, +RESUME, -SET. This switch is connected to pin CCS of the HV ECU. Based upon the resistance that pin CCS sees to ground, it can determine which cruise control function to implement.

9. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still don't understand why the stop light switch needs to be replaced.

So far I understand:
    1. Cruise Control Switch gets connected to CCS pin of the HV ECU.

What I don't understand:
    1. How the CCS switch is connected to the HV ECU? Is there some sort of socket where you just plug in the cable?
    2. If the stop light switch has to be replaced - is it just removing the old one and plugging in the new one to the same socket?

I want to be able to explain to the guys at Toyota dealership that this is a simple procedure. At the moment they are really scared of doing the installation thinking they might break the ECU...

If I tell them step-by-step what they should do, perhaps I will make it a bit easier for them.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jack,

I haven't needed to do this myself so I can't tell you how easy or hard this will be. As a new cable is on the parts list it might be necessary to interface the wiring into one of the existing cable connectors that plug into the HV ECU. Not sure whether the existing stop light switch socket will fit the new switch or not.

If you can't find first-hand accounts of this process written by other members who have done the job, then you'll have to download the repair docs so that you can provide them to your dealership technical staff and hope they can figure it out. Good luck.

11. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the information I received from some sort of central Toyota office in Poland:

"We would like to inform you that installation of Cruise Control Switch affects the original factory design of the car. Therefore not every dealership service will be willing to perform the installation as they will claim full responsibility of the success. This is not a standard procedure recommended by the manufacturer. It is up to the dealership to decide whether they want to install it."

Not too helpful, but there is hope.

Do you know the exact places in Europe where they actually performed the installation and they know how to do it?

12. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'normal' (no cruise control') stop light switch is a single-throw normally-open switch, which closes when the brake pedal is pressed. The Cruise Control version is a double-throw switch, where one side is normally-open and the other normally-closed. As the pedal is pressed, the normally-open switch closes and the normally-closed switch opens.

The normally-open side controls the brake light as before; the HV ECU monitors both switches and checks that they produce consistent answers. If it detects that both sides are open, it deactivates cruise control because it cannot reliably detect that the driver has pressed the brake pedal - you wouldn't want the car to run away because the switch has failed, or the 7.5A STOP lamp fuse has blown, and that part of the car can no longer tell that you're trying to brake. Because this is a potential danger scenario, it logs DTC P0571 and the CRUISE light blinks. (There is a small allowance of time for the switch to actually switch over, but it's a fraction of a second.)

13. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is the socket still the same regardless the switch?

14. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yes, this is how the switch looks like in the 2001~2003. Cruise07.jpg I believe it is the same for 2004. The white switch is double-throw and the black switch is single-throw.

There is a SSC-40L for the Brake Light Switch replacement: View attachment 40ltechn.pdf Perhaps you can show it to your dealer as to how to replace the switch?

1 person likes this.
  15. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is excellent, thank you!
    Is there a similar instruction on the installation of the Cruise Control Switch?

16. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Nope, I didn't come across any instructions for the 2004 yet. I only have the instructions for the 2001.

2001 Prius Cruise Control -- Intro

The 2001 is more complicated then the 2004 because the original steering wheel do not have opening on the cowl. Some owners either bought the new cruise control steering wheel at $600 or they just cut two holes into the cowl to accommodate the cruise control switch. I believe your 2004 already has the cutout on the cowl.

17. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am half way there!

My local Toyota dealer said they would fit in new brake light switch.

So what I really need now is some guide on how to install the CC switch.
    I am sure that once we clarify this issue, it will be very helpful to other members in future.

So far I took out the right lower cover of the steering wheel and I can see where the switch would be mounted, but I have absolutely no idea:
    1. how to safely dismantle steering wheel
    2. where the cable of the CC switch should be connected to
    3. which way the cable goes and does not break from turning the steering wheel :)

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jack,

My post #2 provides you a link to the Toyota Europe techinfo site. If you plan to DIY I again urge you to download the relevant repair manual pages so that the airbag doesn't blow up in your face.

19. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have followed your advice. I'll give you an update soon.

20. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand everything now. I am going to order the parts and I'll book the service for installation of the brake switch.
    It is silly that they refuse installation of the switch, because from looking at the instructions it seems a monkey could do that...