1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Install a Full Size Spare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ptesta454, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ptesta454

ptesta454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Very easy! Go pick up a spare rim with a tire. Deflate ALL the air out of it. And place it in the spare tire well with the far side first, underneath the little lip. Fits JUST BARELY. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Assuming you have a 12V portable air compressor, will it re-inflate the full size, deflated spare?

Wonder what the weight difference is between a fully inflated doughnut spare (60PSI) and the full size spare (40PSI) you are running?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably not much weight difference, but it's called a space saver spare for a reason. ;)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!(y)

ptesta454 likes this.
  5. ptesta454

ptesta454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I plan on bringing both a 12v pump and a foot pump just in case. Feel much more comfortable with this for a 4K+-mile trip to Alaska. Bringing the small spare as well for even MORE peace of mind.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would make sure your 12V portable air compressor can inflate the deflated full size spare. Would be a shame for you to learn on your trip. My 12V air compressor says it can run continuously for 10 minutes, then needs to be off for 15 continuous minutes; obviously it needs to cool. I don't think my portable air compressor would be able to get enough air into the tire to establish an airtight seal of the tire bead onto the rim, in 10 continuous minutes; even if the tire was supported w/ no vehicle weight on it.

Two spares is being super careful; plan for the worst, hope for the best.

If it were me, I would be fine w/ just the compact spare and the following:
    • a tire plug kit
    • a box cutter, knife, etc, to cut off the excess tire plug sticking out of the tread
    • a small spray bottle (ie 99cent store)
    • two 500mL bottles filled w/ water and a little bit of dish soap (to help you find the tire leak)

EDIT: Is the HV Battery still the original? Hopefully you are lucky and had the original one replaced under warranty?

#6 exstudent, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you believe the road conditions are so bad as to require two spare tires, then why not leave the original equipment compact spare tire, inflated, in the storage well, and transport the full-size inflated spare tire in the hatch area?

Having an un-inflated spare tire along does little for my peace of mind, that is like bringing an empty gasoline container, or a food cooler with no ice or food in it, on the trip.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's not quite that bad. there is nothing you can bring along to fill an empty gas can except a full gas can. if the compressor and/or foot pump work, that's a slightly better situation.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very marginally better.

I would encourage the OP to try the compressor on the deflated tire to see whether it will actually inflate the tire without burning out the compressor motor, blowing the fuse to the power socket, or even draining the 12V battery if the OP does not leave the Prius READY.

Then if he thinks the foot pump will be effective, again try it on the deflated tire and see how many hours that takes.

I have used 12V air compressors and IMO they are toys unless you have a compressor which attaches directly to the 12V battery with cables. Then, maybe, it might be marginally effective in inflating a fully deflated auto tire.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Never crossed my mind to do it Pat's way. Which makes the most sense. Duh. Good thing he is here to enlighten the rest of us.

I can't see a portable 12V air compressor filling a deflated full size spare. Whenever I use mine to add a few pounds of air, it takes minutes!

EDIT: Keep inflated compact spare in spare wheel well and inflated full size spare in trunk cargo area, as Pat suggested. All problems solved.

#11 exstudent, Apr 26, 2015
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but isn't that what toyota gives you when you don't get a spare?

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For those cars that do not come with a spare tire (typically a sports car or a vehicle that pretends to be a sports car), you get a can which is supposed to inflate a deflated tire. Of course that can does you no good if a tire suffers a blowout.

It would not be a good idea to drive such a vehicle on a lonely highway where you can't easily count upon using your cellphone to call for help, a tow truck, etc.

#13 Patrick Wong, Apr 26, 2015
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From years of experience topping off tires, I know that my 12V compressor takes 15 seconds for each added 1 psi, while my favorite bicycle floor pump takes 7 strokes per 1 added psi. (These are for our household cars, the larger volume tires of the Forester need more.)

And yes, I have boosted all four tires of a new Prius by 9 psi each with that bicycle pump. It took a while, but was faster than using the electric pump.

Other drivers would do well to figure out the time or strokes their particular pumps require for their particular cars.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and the pip, and it's not even a pretend sports car.:p it comes with a can and a compressor. i hope toyota tested it, but i keep a donut on deck. even if the can/compressor work, i wouldn't want to bother in bad weather, it's a lot more work than throwing on a spare, and you don't have to deal with tpms hassle. i don't mind driving on the donut to a tyre shoppe.